Big House Bourbon, an MGP sourced product

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Big House Bourbon, an MGP sourced product

Unread postby Birdo » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:15 am

I had a couple of pours from a new bottle of Big House and so far so good. I'm a sucker for a cheesy gimmick and the prison theme for this brand fits the bill. The bottler has sourced their bourbon from MGP in Indiana. It's reportedly a 6 year high rye bourbon bottled at 90 proof. They claim 35% rye. I found it to be similar to Bulleit and Four Roses Small Batch. At $21.99, it is priced right.

Other bottlers that source from MGP may sell similar whiskey for a lot more cash. I find this offering to be tasty and prison gimmick is funny. :P
Birdo

Re: Big House Bourbon, an MGP sourced product

Unread postby Squire » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:04 pm

Aged for a six year stretch which is cheeky. Wonder who makes up their target demographic.
Squire

Unread postby Birdo » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:34 am

They say its targeted towards millennial men 25-32. I'm mid-50's.
Birdo

Unread postby mhatzung » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:36 pm

My daughter's old boyfriend bought a bottle a while back while they were still dating and thought is was wonderful stuff. I thought it was reasonably good, but the gimmick put me off. I guess I should me more like Birdo and think like a 25 - 32 year old. I'd probably enjoy life more.
mhatzung

Unread postby Birdo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:54 am

Although I think the marketing gimmick is funny, my main interest is in trying LDI/MGP bourbon and rye. MGP is a huge secretive distiller on the Indiana side of the Ohio river, and they make an ocean of whiskey that winds up packaged as artisan craft small batch whiskey. I wanted to try their stuff, but only at the right price. The Big House brand is pretty good as it's a high rye, 90 proofer aged for 6 years and is priced right at $22 here in Louisville.

Another MGP whiskey is Rebel Yell Rye. I had a bottle of this and liked it fine, but I prefer bourbon to rye. I also know Bulleit and Dickel rye are sourced from MGP.

If anyone wants to recommend an MGP sourced brand bourbon, please do so, I would love to consider your opinion.
Birdo

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:50 pm

Birdo wrote:If anyone wants to recommend an MGP sourced brand bourbon, please do so, I would love to consider your opinion.

I find I love barrel proof MGP rye quite a bit. It can be found under Old Scout Rye and Willett FE Rye labels. OS supposedly cant keep up and has been 'temporarily' discontinued, and WFE is a bit too proud of their labelling though.

I like, but dont love, MGP barrel proof bourbon. I prefer Booker's though, which is easier to find and priced about the same anyway
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Birdo » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:57 am

Nice, I'll look for that here on the East End. The Rebel Yell rye is pretty good and easy, but at 90 proof and two years old, it's a bit simple. Nice on ice as a summer whiskey.
Birdo

Return to Bourbon, Straight