Cork vs plastic screw tops

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Cork vs plastic screw tops

Unread postby Vital » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:47 pm

As much as corks look more authentic, real, true.... I've had a few bad experiences with them.

Twice I got brand new bottles with trained corks. Multiple times top of cork had been broken off the cork itself leaving me with not much choice but to finish the bottle off as soon as possible not to let the liquid "air out". Decanter is an option here but since I don't have one (and don't really want to buy one) it is not an option for me. I've also had some bottles (those I drink rarely and had for 2-3 years now) air out even with what seems to be a good cork. Then there's also times I wanna buy me a bottle ($80 Jeffersons comes to mind) and once it's in my hands I notice how I can easily turn/spin the cork left/right while it's not even opened. That alone stopped me from buying that bottle. List of small things that while not often but happen goes on.

On the other hand regular plastic screw cap does look cheap and cheapens the look of you bottle. I currently have RIP Van Winkle 10 and Old Weller Antique 107 both with plastic caps. Both are as good taste-wise and trouble free as they were 2 and 1 year ago when I first opened them.

Amount of times I got "burned" with bad corks at this point I could care less if my bottle has a "better look due to cork", I simply want liquid to not go bad and cheap looking plastic covers seem to get the job right.

Am I missing something here? Is there any practical reason to use cork as opposed to plastic?

p.s. 10 yo Van Winkle I bought 2 years ago has plastic cap while bottle I got yesterday has cork. New bottle also looks completely different if that matters.
Vital

Re: Cork vs plastic screw tops

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:31 pm

I'll take a screw cap any day over a cork.
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Birdo » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:13 pm

I think synthetic corks are better than natural. But screw tops are just find for this Mid-Shelfer. :drunken:
Birdo

Unread postby mhatzung » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:13 pm

The only cork I've had issues with is the Elijah Craig with that big ole' glued on plastic knob coming off. More annoying than a tragedy. I understand concerns with cork and logically I know a screw top is the better closure, but the sound a cork makes when coming out of the bottle seems to significantly enhance the emotion of sipping bourbon :40oz: . I know, get over it :) .
mhatzung

Unread postby Squire » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:09 pm

Cork closures should have gone out with rotary dial phones. As for appearances I don't think Jack Daniels or Makers Mark have suffered an image problem due to screw caps which both have used since the mid 1950s.
Squire

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:20 pm

who is the snob who said screw tops were for swill?!

I dont care what the closure is, I want an enjoyable bourbon. I love me some Booker's, but dammit....every time I get halfway through a bottle, the damned cork breaks. On the last one, it broke and fell into the bourbon, where it couldnt be retrieved.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Birdo » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:48 am

From an engineering stand point, the screw cap is clearly superior. More reliable, lasts forever blah blah blah. Corks are out dated technology.
Birdo

Unread postby devilscut » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:38 pm

All of you guys are right. I vote for screw caps!
devilscut

Unread postby Redbeard » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:38 pm

A well fitting resealable cap is more practical yes less nostalgic than cork. I vote to save the cork for my recording studio walls. lol
Redbeard

Return to Bourbon, Straight