Disturbing Old Charter news

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Disturbing Old Charter news

Unread postby Geekboy » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:34 pm

I was in my regular liquor store today here in Shreveport, LA. and I noticed an alarming increase across the ages for Old Charter.

The clerk told me that his distributor told him that Buffalo Trace was going to discontinue all of the Old Charter product.

Anybody hear anything about this?
Geekboy

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:50 pm

I think your distributor might be speaking locally. I know that they said Old Charter 12yo the Classic 90, is going to be discontinued but the other products will remain. This is mostly due to the shortage of aged whiskey and the trend to streamline product lines. I personally would rather see them get rid of the Old Charter 13yo Proprietor's Reserve than the Classic 90.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby scratchline » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:26 pm

I agree wholeheartedly, Mike. I prefer the 12 to the 13 anytime. Luckily I've happened on a nest of the Louisville Classic here in DC so I'll stock up before I leave.

-Mike
"There exist mighty dogs, the dangerous kind who take hold of your heart and do not let go."

-Vicki Hearne
scratchline

Unread postby angelshare » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:08 pm

bourbonv wrote:I know that they said Old Charter 12yo the Classic 90, is going to be discontinued but the other products will remain. This is mostly due to the shortage of aged whiskey and the trend to streamline product lines. I personally would rather see them get rid of the Old Charter 13yo Proprietor's Reserve than the Classic 90.

We side with you and "Scratchline" Mike. OC 12 is cheaper and, we think, better.

As far as the OC brand goes, though - at one time, if we recall correctly, it was distinguished by having a very high corn percentage in the mash. Is BT using one of its "standard" mashes to make newer OC products? Or might they phase it out if they are no longer using a mash that will facilitate the same flavor profile? When we saw Geekboy's post, we were fretting about the latter possibility, as we like the whole OC product line.
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby cowdery » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:35 pm

BT Prez Mark Brown sez:

"Demand has been growing for our older whiskeys, well in excess of the available supply, especially on Charter. So, rather than compromise quality by dropping the age statement or lowering the proof, we are stepping up the allocation system for the brand. In addition, our costs have been rising and will more as the full effect of corn, oil, energy begins to flow through the aging inventory, hence the price increases."

One remaining vestige of the whiskey glut has been low prices. Prepare for higher prices across the board, especially on premium products and, especially, products with age statements of eight years or more. It's simple supply and demand.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Just Great!!!!

Unread postby Geekboy » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:11 pm

This is so typical. I get a good second year into my obsession with bourbon and now the prices are going up!
Geekboy

Unread postby photogjunkie » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:27 am

Both the OC12 and OCPR13 are great bourbons which seem to have been for some time in limited supply in my area of Texas. Fortunately, I have a modest stash of each in the bunker. The Louisville versions of each are superior to the Frankfort BT expressions. My vote for which one is better would have to go to OCPR13 Heritage Collection Louisville.
"Now it is time for that mellow moment"
photogjunkie

Return to Bourbon, Straight