looking to the turkey or Heaven hill

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

looking to the turkey or Heaven hill

Unread postby Agalloch » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:28 pm

I'm looking for something I haven't tried and so far Im thinking some heaven hill. Elijah Craig blew me away with the thick mouthfeel, complexity, a bourbon with character all the way through. Fighting cook I really liked the rye bite almost like a wild turkey 101 with fuller mouthfeel. I've pick up Henry McKenna 80 proof 1.75Ml because it was on sale overall pretty good a lil sweet I prefer more of a wood/spice than a fruity sweet but nothing to complain about. I've had Evan Williams black but I remember thinking ezra brooks 90 more for me. I've seen Henry McKenna 10 and . or EW Singlebarrel and wheaters haven't done much for me so ill pass on the larcency. Plan C is head for the Wild Turkey section and try some Russel's reserve as the turkey always seems to treat me well.
Agalloch

Re: looking to the turkey or Heaven hill

Unread postby Squire » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:41 pm

Apparently your tastes lean toward the rye recipe Bourbons and I share that preference. No problem with the wheaters, just don't think of them when walking down the aisle.
Squire

Unread postby Birdo » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:55 am

You need to buy a bottle of 114 proof Old GrandDad. It's a high rye bourbon that is in the same vein as wild turkey 101 and fighting cock.
Birdo

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:05 pm

i second that. OGD 114 is a great high rye recipe that offers probably the best bang for the buck in the entire whiskey world. i find it a totally different animal than the 100 proof BIB, which I dont care for. At $22-25, its hard to beat under most any circumstance.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Cpfoutz » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:23 pm

take a look at some four roses as well - they tend to be more spicy...Small batch will put you in a similar price point...My favorite is the barrel proof private bottlings, but those run $60.

If you like Evan Williams look for the white label.
Cpfoutz

Unread postby Agalloch » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:36 pm

OGD 114 is on my list of next high proofer to get but i gotta get through this bookers and rare breed first. I was on the hunt for a nice 90 proofer for an everyday pour. I ended up with a pint of bulleit and a bottle of russel resetve. Just opened them so its to early for an acurate taste but some far both are tasty bulleit has a nice bite and unique profile. Russel reserve is classic wild turkey taste which i dig we'll see how they open up. I know i should try four roses and Ew sungle barrel but i never end up coming hpme with either on and i have not a reason why. Some day someday
Agalloch

Return to Bourbon, Straight