Bookers and Rare Breed as daily pours?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Bookers and Rare Breed as daily pours?

Unread postby Agalloch » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:34 pm

Ive been neglecting my bourbon stash for the last year and a half or so. I currently have a bottle of RB that's been open for approx. 4 months shy of two years, been half full for almost a year. It still taste good, seems to have sweetened up a bit or maybe my taste buds are remembering differently. I also have a bookers that's been open probably 9 months but only a few drams taken from it. Im wondering should I start putting a good dent into these to avoid them going downhill? I drink bourbon mostly in the winter but for the last year ive avoided the high proof stuff because I tend to really feel it the next day and with my new job I started last year I didn't want that. Both are among my favorite bourbons I hate to waste em.
Agalloch

Re: Bookers and Rare Breed as daily pours?

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:36 pm

i think many times i enjoy them more when theyve been open longer. I regularly enjoy HH6BIB, but the bottle I keep at my in-laws, thats been open a few years now, always seems better than the recent ones I have around here that may be open for a few months before theyre gone. Same with Booker's....I dont go through more than 1-1.5 bottles a year, but they seem to improve with air time.

theres always an exception.....My longest open bottle is probably 3 years now. An 8 year Willett WFE 122 proofer. I was indifferent/unimpressed when I opened it, and feel the same about it now. Every few months I try it again, and its always 'meh'.

then theres the argument that its our taste buds changing. who knows. just enjoy it!
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Squire » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:09 pm

No reason (other than cost of course) we shouldn't enjoy Bookers et al daily. As for long opened bottles though, not to worry. I've had some open for years with no apparent harm done. They will change over time (mostly oxidation from fresh air exposure) but a lot of folks prefer that flavor profile. As for high proof there's absolutely no rule that says we can't water it down, after all that's what the distilleries do to create the lower proof bottles/brands.
Squire

Unread postby Agalloch » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:19 am

I appreciate the feedback. I've been enjoying the rare breed I've been wondering is it they same as 101 just barrel proof? It been a while since ive tried the 101
Agalloch

Unread postby Birdo » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:41 am

I actually prefer the WT101. Rare Breed is good, but I can't see the extra coin for the fancy bottle. WT101 drinks a bit lighter than RB and easier drinking, and you won't have a cow when company dumps some in coke.
Birdo

Unread postby Squire » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:04 pm

Hard to say, it is of course the same as 101, same recipe, yet Rare Breed is a blend of different age expressions. Sorta like best of features combining young stock with fully aged then adding spice of overage stock. Frankly, I've always thought it's a solid principle for creating a best of show effort. However it may have been adjusted over the years since the brand introduction (bit more of this one, little less of that one) barrel proof (or close enough) does, I think, display the best characteristics of any distiller's effort.
Squire

Unread postby JLH3 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:43 pm

Personally, I could live on Rare Breed, Baker's (which I much prefer to Booker's) and 4RSmB.
Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.
- Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses

"Your hair was darker then."
- Grant
"My heart was lighter then."
- Rico
The Professionals
JLH3

Unread postby RandyG » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:48 pm

Good info here. I too think whiskeys tend to "mellow" after sitting open for a while. Some barely change, while others change quite a bit. I had some Noah's Mill last night that has been open a while and I think it tastes better now then when I opened it. Keep in mind that the Rare Breed you have open is not the current batch of Rare Breed. I really liked the old 108. One of the very best whiskeys I have ever tried.

RG
RandyG

Unread postby Mike » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:13 pm

Squire wrote:Hard to say, it is of course the same as 101, same recipe, yet Rare Breed is a blend of different age expressions. Sorta like best of features combining young stock with fully aged then adding spice of overage stock. Frankly, I've always thought it's a solid principle for creating a best of show effort. However it may have been adjusted over the years since the brand introduction (bit more of this one, little less of that one) barrel proof (or close enough) does, I think, display the best characteristics of any distiller's effort.

I agree, Squire, that the barrel proof bourbons display the best characteristics of any distiller's efforts, and they always extract a price for the privilege of that purchase. But, with a barrel proof whiskey, you can find your own sweet spot in terms of proof, and the preservation of barrel flavors. To my palate, there is no substitute for the rich creamy barrel flavors.......... except perhaps for the just right subtle flavors(?) that come from an extended visit in the barrel. I have rarely seen anyone, aside from me, extol the virtues of ultra aging, yet the Van Winkles have made what many consider an art of just that.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Return to Bourbon, Straight