The vatting (mixing) of bourbons

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

The vatting (mixing) of bourbons

Unread postby Mike » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:25 pm

I very often drink bourbons of my own concoction. And I keep some bourbons on hand, not because they themselves are among my favorites, but because they have a taste component that I like in a sip. I keep Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, which I do like, on hand to give a 'homemade' sip some of the tannins and bit of the metallic taste from the copper pots. I am not particularly enamored of Maker's Mark Cast Strength (finish too short), but it kicks up the mixture (being 111 proof) and adds some nice barrel flavors and sweetness.

At the moment I am sipping something made with Evan Williams Single Barrel (an excellent bourbon on its own) as the base, MMCS to give it a bigger bite from the alcohol and richness from the barrel, and some Sazerac to poke it in the ribs.

Nice.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: The vatting (mixing) of bourbons

Unread postby RandyG » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:23 am

On many occasion, I have reached the bottom of a glass, and with just a sip left, asked myself "what could I mix this with"? I would love to find a high proof bourbon that would mix favorably with the new Rare Breed. I absolutely loved the 108 but the 112 needs something (more age?). I do not have a new one on the shelf right now or I think I would like to try that Makers Mark cask strength.

The most memorable vatting I have tried is a 50/50 Van Winkle Lot B & Jefferson's 18YO

The weirdest was a 80/20 Don Julio anejo & Woodford Reserve. A good friend of mine likes drinking his whiskey out of a tequila glass. He's having Woodford and me, the tequila. My glass was getting low so I top it off. Only it wasn't my glass. It was his, and it had about a finger of Woodford in it. I top it off with the Julio and guess what? It was damn good!

Besides the 112 Rare Breed, if anyone has some experience vatting Old Grand Dad 114, Knob Creek 120 and Russell's Reserve single barrel, I'm all ears.

Cheers,
RG
RandyG

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:11 pm

Just mixed up a batch of Ron's Four Grain. Many of you have sampled this. To me, it's one of the best vattings on the planet. Ron left a great legacy before he departed this earth. Thanks Ron.
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby mhatzung » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:16 am

For those of us not familiar with that blend, what composes Ron's Four Grain?
mhatzung

Unread postby amg » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:28 am

mhatzung wrote:For those of us not familiar with that blend, what composes Ron's Four Grain?

viewtopic.php?p=10687#p10687
amg

Unread postby taddraughn » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:27 pm

I've seen several people over on reddit advocate the vatting of Old Weller. Old Weller Antique 60% and Weller 12 year for the other 40%. Although 12 year isn't exactly the easiest to find at the moment.
taddraughn

Return to Bourbon, Straight