What did you purchase today?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

What did you purchase today?

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:54 pm

I find it interesting to know what is available and at what prices in different areas. For those interested, list what you bought today at what price and in what city

I found the last remaining stash of Old Scout 8 year barrel proof single barrel rye in Louisville and bought three more, for $57 each in Louisville. The last ones I had bought earlier this year were $50 and were 7 year bottles. With the announcement that this is being d/c'ed for a while, I happily grabbed three and checked out. There were 5 more left.

Last week I grabbed a High West unaged OMG silver rye. Normally Id have passed on it, but sitting on the clearance rack for $25....my curiosity got the better of me.
393foureyedfox

Re: What did you purchase today?

Unread postby GaryV » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:46 pm

Popped your "$50 limit" cherry, eh? Good for you. SAOS offers some very nice whiskies and are well worth the money, IMHO
GaryV

Unread postby Squire » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:25 pm

Well, some rules are destined to be broken, things change. Then again, some things remain constant. Twenty years ago I paid more than $200 for a bottle of Beam's Masterpiece Port finished Bourbon and if the very same bottle were offered to me today at any price I would pass.

What counts is what it's worth to me.
Squire

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:06 pm

GaryV wrote:Popped your "$50 limit" cherry, eh? Good for you. SAOS offers some very nice whiskies and are well worth the money, IMHO

guilty!

I didnt feel so bad about it, as I havent bought a bottle of any bourbon in probably 6 months (Ive been going through the stash instead), and felt justified in knowing that it will not hit the shelves again for some time (barrel proof SAOS rye) again and will likely make $57 seem cheap when it does. A bottle of barrel proof anything lasts me a good 6 months, so Ive got about 3 years worth here now, long enough to ride out the storm.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Birdo » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:11 am

I spy a bottle of Ridgemont 1792 for $23 at Cox's Smokes and Spirits. Good stuff if it's priced right. The super high proofers have been kicking my arse, so something in the mid 90's might be good.
Birdo

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:28 pm

went to get a b-day bottle for my buddy's birthday gift, and grabbed two bottles for myself.

a High West Double Rye, for $32 on sale. Only had this at a bar before, but dont remember it well. But, with my new rye kick, I was curious enough to try a 2 and 16 year old rye mix at that price

a McKenna BIB that was actually 12 years old by the label date (May 2003), for $28 on sale
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:58 pm

Double rye is good juice and you got it at a good price.
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Kensacct » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:35 pm

Henry McKenna Single Barrel BIB it was $28 and some change in the NC ABC store in Morehead City. Checked the close out rack and there was a Jameson Gold Reserve on sale for $99.00, it is still available.
Kensacct

Unread postby Squire » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:56 pm

Good gracious, I remember paying a lot less when Jameson Gold was first introduced.

Oh, and welcome aboard.
Squire

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:25 pm

Bourbon Joe wrote:Double rye is good juice and you got it at a good price.

yeah. the kroger liquor stores dont advertise it, but now and then they put on good sales across the board on liquors. Everything was tempting today, even the Booker's at $49.99, but I got my last one there a few months back for $46, so Ill wait for a better deal, as I havent even opened that last one yet.

I had to tear into the McKenna BIB 12 year bottle tonight and it is very very good. Like the 6 year BIB, but smoother, creamier, sweeter, just overall a more rounded/balanced bottling. Im a cheapskate, but this probably IS 3 times better than the 1/3 cost 6 year BIB. There was another of this 12 year bottle left, I may go get it too.

I went 6+ months whthout buying any, and am quickly making up for it this week.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:49 pm

I thought Henry McKenna was a 10 y/o.
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:14 pm

Bourbon Joe wrote:I thought Henry McKenna was a 10 y/o.

it is labelled as a ten year bottle, but now and then you find one that, according to the 'barreled on' date on the label, may be eleven or twelve years old. This stores only been open 6 months or so, and has both 11 and 12 year bottles on the shelf, so its not like theyve been on their shelves for two years. This isnt a bourbon I buy regularly, but the last time I had one, a friend gave me a private selection, and it was 13 years old (the private selection label had the barreled on date as well as the selected on date, so it clearly was 13 years

age stated only means its at least that old, according to the bourbon rules.

Mckennas profile, from my experience, isnt an overly woody profile. I imagine the woody barrels head to the elijah craig bottle line. That last 13 year old private selection could have easily been confused for an older wild turkey 101 if tasted blindly. It was pretty good! This one is more of a nicely aged and smoother/sweeter version of HH6BIB.

see?! I stepped off the 'im not buying anything for a long time' wagon and am already thinking of going back and getting that other 12 year one.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Squire » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:54 am

That's my take on McKenna 10, a bit less, more subdued in comparison, like 'em both though.
Squire

Unread postby O'DubhGhaill » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:11 pm

Bought my first Four Roses product, a single barrel 50% offering for $40.99. I don't have the bottle in front of me to offer the markings, but perhaps later. I am a huge Heaven Hill fan, not much of a Beam/Suntory follower, but most reviews describe this as yummy and at $40 should not disappoint. I found this FRSB at a local store where I found the last bottle of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof batch #7 only last week for $51.99!
O'DubhGhaill

Unread postby creeef » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:34 pm

Hey, I'm new to collecting and drinking "rare" bourbons. I'm 22 years old so I started kind of young. My dad has a pretty nice stash so I'm trying to catch up. I started collecting last year and I have a fairly good relationship with a local store. Believe it or not, this is just the past couple weeks finds. All at retail. I purchased all but the weller off of the shelf. I bought two of the ECBFs so I could enjoy one of them and the EHT Single Barrel as a sipper without feeling too bad. The rest of my finds are at my dad's house. Last year I was able to purchase a 15yr pappy and another 10yr :D

[img]file:///C:/Users/kmdaughtry/Documents/Cole's%20Stuff/5377[/img]
creeef

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight