What did you purchase today?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: What did you purchase today?

Unread postby amg » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:09 am

393foureyedfox wrote:Mckennas profile, from my experience, isnt an overly woody profile. I imagine the woody barrels head to the elijah craig bottle line.

With McKenna, since it's a BIB, they can only use barrels that are all from the same season, but with EC12 it wouldn't surprise me if they blend in some much older barrels that don't make the cut for EC18-23.
amg

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:14 pm

amg wrote:
393foureyedfox wrote:Mckennas profile, from my experience, isnt an overly woody profile. I imagine the woody barrels head to the elijah craig bottle line.

With McKenna, since it's a BIB, they can only use barrels that are all from the same season, but with EC12 it wouldn't surprise me if they blend in some much older barrels that don't make the cut for EC18-23.

mckenna is a single barrel bourbon, EC is a small batch bourbon....which would mean that, as a single barrel, EACH barrel of McKenna-destined bourbon would technically meet the requirements of the BIB law, provided theyre housed in a bonded warehouse. EC is a batched product, which MAY all be from the same season, but most likely is a mixture of a variety of ages to get the profile they want (and, possibly allow a distillery to 'use up' some barrels that wouldnt meet the cut for any given brand anyway, by mixing them with other profiled barrels.....thats where the skill of a master distiller is a real art). In theory, the McKenna should have more variability in profile than the EC because of this. Many people comment on the variability in the McKenna line; Ive noticed it but not a drastic difference. Ive had some that were good and some that were great, but no bad ones. EC is more consistent in profile, but its a profile that i consistently dont care for.

to me, the 12 year old McKenna I have here, as well as the 13 year one I had last year make a good point on barrel influence. Neither were nearly as 'woody' as any EC12 Ive had, which could be explained two ways: 1, the EC is actually older than the 12 year age statement (less likely these days), which would explain the extra wood. or 2, different barrels provide different profiles during the aging process, as exampled by a 12 year MCK and a 12 year EC starting off as the same distillate, yet providing considerably different profiles in the same aging period. Methinks it may be a little of both examples.

I just geeked out.....
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Squire » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:52 pm

Geeked out on point though. HH has such massive stocks of aged Bourbon (according to their spokesman at least 30,000 barrels of over 20 year old stock) they can pick 12 year old single barrels to meet a specific profile or blend barrels of at least 12 years to suit a different profile.
Squire

Previous

Return to Bourbon, Straight