Beginners Bourbon feedback

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Beginners Bourbon feedback

Unread postby Rng1974 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:30 pm

I am what you would call a newbie to the world of bourbon. I have been researching $20-$40 bourbons to try and would like some feedback on your experiences because I can't really make up my mind! What do you think are the best tasting bourbons in this price range?
Rng1974

Re: Beginners Bourbon feedback

Unread postby Mike » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:43 pm

I think you cannot go wrong with Evan Williams Single Barrel or with Four Roses Single Barrel. And, if you want to begin to know bourbon, start with Old Granddad 100 proof bottled in bond.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Cpfoutz » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:58 pm

I would recommend you find out what kind of bourbon you like. I'll provide some easily attainable midpriced bottles to start with:

Wheated-sweeter-Larceny
Low rye-middle of the road-buffalo trace
High rye-more bite-four roses small batch
Aged-more of an oaky flavor-Elijah Craig 12 year

These might not be the best (which is a subjective term anyway) but they will guide you to what you like. I advise staying away from barrel proof (or cask strength) will blow out your taste buds if you aren't trained.

Regardless, you'll likely find these as staples in your bar should you stick with the hobby.

Regardless of what you choose come back with what you tried and your thoughts and we can guide you ton something similar, or different
Cpfoutz

Unread postby Rng1974 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:39 pm

Trying Larceny right now
Rng1974

Unread postby RandyG » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:58 am

I'm with Mike, Give the Evan Williams Single Barrel a try. Then maybe the Four Roses Small Batch.

RG
RandyG

Unread postby Cpfoutz » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:08 pm

Evan Williams Single Barrel is also a low rye bourbon like Buffalo Trace and is also fantastic.

If you like the style of larceny, you're a bit limited in selection...but the pappy craze seems to be bringing out more. I'm not a fan of wheaters...give me the high rye, it has more character imho.

Old Fitzgerald, the 3 weller bourbons, Larceny, the maker's mark line, Rebel Yell and the pappy line are about it. 1792 also has a new wheated bourbon, which is weird because they are known for their high rye. Some are almost impossible to find due to pappy's fame (the weller line uses the same "recipe" as pappy).
Cpfoutz

Unread postby Birdo » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:04 am

A bell weather for good mid shelf bourbon would be to buy a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 and a bottle of Makers Mark. These two are widely available and are in every bar that serves spirits in America. I like the WT101 better than makers, but makers works well in Coke.

I get Wild Turkey on sale and usually have it on hand.

Cheers!
Birdo

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:12 pm

Birdo wrote:A bell weather for good mid shelf bourbon would be to buy a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 and a bottle of Makers Mark. These two are widely available and are in every bar that serves spirits in America. I like the WT101 better than makers, but makers works well in Coke.

I get Wild Turkey on sale and usually have it on hand.

Cheers!

that is a quick, cheap, and easy first step to finding if you prefer wheaters or rye bourbon, as those the are the best examples of those styles while still being attainable and under $20-25 each.

of course, youll likely find you like both, and your favorite will change back and forth. Then youll end up like the rest of us that have 20+ different bottlings at home....one to fit each mood. but, its a fun game
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Eggman » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:38 am

Howdy,

My nearest big box grocery had WT101 for just $16.99! I couldn't pass it up for that price. Good stuff.
Eggman

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:27 pm

thats a very good price, eggman. it's usually a $21 bottle here. I bought several a few years ago when they were $18 with a coupon and a rebate that made them $11 each. Im down to one. I still see them on sale now and then for $18, and there arent many bourbons better at that price, if any.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby O'DubhGhaill » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:21 pm

The Evan Williams Single Barrel (EWSB) I've tried, 2006, 2005, is brilliant! It drinks like a Speyside single malt in my mind, something like a Glenfiddich 12 or a soft Highlander like a Dalwhinnie, which I also truly enjoy and that are single malts often referred to new single malt imbibers. Enjoy the journey!
O'DubhGhaill

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:14 pm

as much of a HH fan as I am, EWSB never does anything for me. But, I attribute that to the proof point. About once a year or so, Ill order one (as I do with 4R products), to see if I feel differently about it now, and I never do. more for you guys!
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:26 pm

EWSB is something I never buy.
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Cpfoutz » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:07 am

Me neither...

I've been on a Elijah Craig run lately...hadn't had it in a while, opened a bottle and it was quite tasty.

Normally my go tos are 4 roses and BT stuff...at both extremes...depending on my mood - though Heaven Hill juice is slowly replacing BT products on my shelf...I may need to give EWSB another try.

I don't tend to like Wild Turkey or Jim Beam products.
Cpfoutz

Return to Bourbon, Straight