A couple of my long time favorite whiskies

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

A couple of my long time favorite whiskies

Unread postby Mike » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:18 pm

I have yet to come up with a good definition of what I would characterize as whiskey that has 'class'. I tend to think of them as somewhat 'soft' and maybe even slightly 'delicate'. Cognac is the sine qua non of distilled spirits when it comes to delicacy, and no American whiskey can, or should challenge that title...... they don't need to because delicacy of that caliber is not what American whiskey is about. Still, I enjoy some American whiskies because they have what I consider a certain degree of delicacy and thereby 'class'.

Two whiskies that I always keep on hand and enjoy fit this need for me. They are both very smooth, softly sweet, and somewhat subtle, but each has a nice dollop of spice. One of these is Jack Daniel's Single Barrel (94 proof) and the other is Evan Williams Single Barrel (86 proof). I consider the Evan Williams a go to bottle because it still sells for about $25 or so. The JDSB goes for about twice that amount, so there is no question as to which is the better value.

The Jack has that characteristic maple/vanilla/oaky taste that is quite nice and hides the 94 proof effectively. It allows the whiskey to glide across the mouth and into the throat. I find some delicacy, and class, (whatever those are) in this whiskey and give a shout out for JDSB. There is something about other JD whiskies that I find unsatisfactory (especially at 80 proof), and, no doubt the Single Barrel whiskies from Jack have the advantage of being selected for that great profile.

There is no perfect, or even best, bourbon (or whiskey). For one thing, there is such a great variety that there is no reason to choose only one. What you might want, and like, today, may not be what you want, and like, tomorrow. But, I must confess, if my head were on the block and the demand made that I must choose only one whiskey, I would quickly reply, 'If it please you, sir (assuming my would be executioner is a man), put Evan Williams Single Barrel on that list'.

Since my head is not on the block, least ways as regards my choice of whiskey, this is not of any great consequence. Still, EWSB comes as close as any whiskey in my experience to have that illusive quality of 'class'. It has the Heaven Hill house taste....... the sweetness is soft, the rye subdued. When friends ask me for an introductory bourbon I always reply, Evan Williams Single Barrel, knowing full well that others will tell them Maker's Mark, which although quite drinkable is very much the inferior of EWSB (in my humble opinion). If and when they might want to go beyond EWSB, I would suggest Old Granddad Bottled in Bond, because in my book, that is the bourbon against which others are measured. I am not suggesting that it is the best bourbon, but it has the essential qualities for which bourbon is justly celebrated. OGD BIB would need to go on that list I would give to the executioner as my favorite in the hope that he (she) does not find immediate disfavor with me for refusing to make a single bourbon as my choice to take into eternity.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: A couple of my long time favorite whiskies

Unread postby Squire » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:28 pm

Agree completely Mike.
Squire

Unread postby devilscut » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:07 am

Too much to read.
devilscut

Unread postby Mike » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:17 am

Your are right, devilscut, the post is not worth your time.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Squire » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:37 am

That's a rather odd way to enter a conversation devilscut. If you don't wish to read the comments on a commentary forum perhaps your time would be better spent elsewhere.
Squire

Return to Bourbon, Straight