Recommendations for bourbons with lots of rye?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Recommendations for bourbons with lots of rye?

Unread postby Vital » Wed May 20, 2015 3:05 pm

Please don't confuse with STRAIGHT rye. Looking for straight bourbon where a big part of remaining non-corn 49% consists of rye.

My favorites so far are EC12, Knob Creek, McHenry Kenna, Blantons and Barterhouse.
What else deserves a permanent spot in my personal bar?
Vital

Re: Recommendations for bourbons with lots of rye?

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Thu May 21, 2015 7:09 am

any of the OGD lineup, most of the WT lineup, and a number of offerings from 4R and Old Scout are all high rye bourbons. Of those, my preference goes to WT and OS bottlings
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Birdo » Thu May 21, 2015 8:22 am

I like both EC12 and Knob creek a lot. I'm hardly a rye expert, but I'll steer you towards Knob Creek Rye. It supposedly has 51% rye and the balance corn so it drinks more like a rye/bourbon hybrid. I'm half way through my 1st bottle of it and like it fine with ice, but it really shines in an old fashioned or manhattan. It's spicy and dry, but somewhat balanced.

One of my budget favorites is Heaven Hills Fighting Cock, they claim a high rye formula and at 103 proof its plenty strong, I find it similar to Wild Turkey 101 which is also a good rye based bourbon that is often on sale here.
Birdo

Unread postby Pepe Scarcella » Sat May 23, 2015 11:53 am

Bulleit, Old Ezra 107 are two that haven't been mentioned yet.
Pepe Scarcella

Unread postby chooch714 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:35 pm

The OGD mashbill has the highest claimed rye content at 27%. If my memory is correct, The OF/WR mashbill is next @ 18%. After that there isn't a large desree of variance. I'm sure there are others that I am not aware of, especially NDPs. YMMV
chooch714

Unread postby Squire » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:44 pm

Also the Bourbon can be mashed in a way that emphasizes the rye grain more than it's actual mashbill would indicate. Barton has traditionally produced a more rye forward profile in their Bourbons so the 1792 line may be to your liking.
Squire

Unread postby shulaw05 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:24 am

james e pepper bourbon has a high rye content
shulaw05

Unread postby BillBuitenhuys » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:30 pm

So Vital, your faves all have a rye content that is around 13-15%, except for Barterhouse that is at 6%.

So you are looking to expand your stable to higher rye content or you like that ~15% sweet spot?

My fave in the higher rye category is 4Roses SiB (35%) or SmB (nominally 25-30%).
Other high ryes I like are Bulleit (28%), any of the OGD mashbills that are purported at 30% (Basil Hayden, OGD 114/BiB), Old Forester and Woodford (18%).
BillBuitenhuys

Unread postby Vital » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:29 pm

BillBuitenhuys wrote:So Vital, your faves all have a rye content that is around 13-15%, except for Barterhouse that is at 6%.

So you are looking to expand your stable to higher rye content or you like that ~15% sweet spot?

My fave in the higher rye category is 4Roses SiB (35%) or SmB (nominally 25-30%).
Other high ryes I like are Bulleit (28%), any of the OGD mashbills that are purported at 30% (Basil Hayden, OGD 114/BiB), Old Forester and Woodford (18%).

Hhhhmmmmm... never knew exact percentage, just "eyeballed" it based on spiciness. Out of what you listed I only truly like Bulleit.
Basil Hayden is also good to my taste but I always assumed it was very low on rye since it's very smooth and kick-less. Reminds me of a lot of scotches.

So I guess my 15ish% sweet spot was what I was asking for.

Thanx!
Vital

Unread postby Squire » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:48 am

Around 15% is the traditional Bourbon recipe (at least for the legacy brands still produced) so the field is widely open. On thing to consider is the effect of age, proof and barrel selection on taste. For instance, Basil Hayden and Old Grand Dad share the same mash bill, yeast and production techniques, yet the two are distinctively apart in a blind tasting.

As are Evan Williams Black label and Elijah Craig in the same way similar but proof and age make a difference. I've known people who claimed to like one or the other without being aware they are made by the same distillery. One of the great things about Bourbon is we have such choices. Of course that means a lot of tasting but the task must be done.
Squire

Unread postby Mike » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:08 pm

Well, of course, there are some mighty fine rye whiskies out there too......... among my favorites are the baby Saz and Rittenhouse BIB Straight Rye.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:42 pm

And my favorite straight rye is E.H. Taylor.
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Mike » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:56 pm

Bourbon Joe wrote:And my favorite straight rye is E.H. Taylor.

I have yet to try that, Joe, but knowing how I value your opinions, I will do so. I do like the other E H Taylor releases. BTW, I may have missed the 'Tornado' one because I thought it was most likely a gimmick. Did you try that one?
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:48 pm

Mike wrote:

I have yet to try that, Joe, but knowing how I value your opinions, I will do so. I do like the other E H Taylor releases. BTW, I may have missed the 'Tornado' one because I thought it was most likely a gimmick. Did you try that one?

Yes, it was very good. Got a couple bottles and finished them all.
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:46 pm

havent tried that one. I have wishy-washy feelings toward straight ryes, but I must admit that Smooth Ambler's barrel proof Ryes, though not technically 'made' by themsleves, is an amazing drink. But, Ive read rumors that supply issues are plaguing SA on the barrel proof ryes now and its hard to find. I bought the last three Ive seen in Louisville.
393foureyedfox

Return to Bourbon, Straight