Trip through Kentucky on the way to Nashville

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Trip through Kentucky on the way to Nashville

Unread postby gunrights » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:36 am

Will be making a trip next month through Kentucky on the way to Nashville for the NRA annual meeting. Would like to stop at some good bourbon liquor stores on the way through Kentucky from northern Indiana to purchase some items that are not available in Indiana.

Any suggestions for good stores to stop at?
Mark (Gunrights)
"It's not about guns, it's about freedom"
"It's not about bourbon, it's about the history in the bottle"
gunrights

Re: Trip through Kentucky on the way to Nashville

Unread postby WhiskeyCollector » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:19 am

Liquor Barn is one of the largest in Kentucky and has several locations.
WhiskeyCollector

Unread postby WhiskeyCollector » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:04 am

Also I'd recommend stopping at a distillery or two. I see you've made it to the Jim Beam distillery, some of them have exclusive bottlings you can only get at the distillery like Heaven Hill and Maker's Mark.
Buffalo Trace has Vodka you can only get there but unfortunately no bourbons thanks to their local laws(that's what they told me anyway). Wish I could go to the NRA meeting, I'm a proud member. If you ever make it to Virginia you've got to go to their headquarters in Fairfax to see the National Firearms Museum if you haven't already. What an amazing collection they have.
WhiskeyCollector

Unread postby bcbandit » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:39 pm

Exit 121 off of I-65 South in Brooks , KY. turn right off ramp, Brooks liquors will be down on the left about a tenth of a mile.Nice folks , plenty of bourbon.
bcbandit

Unread postby gunrights » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:17 am

WhiskeyCollector wrote:Liquor Barn is one of the largest in Kentucky and has several locations.

Added to my list
Mark (Gunrights)
gunrights

Unread postby gunrights » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:22 am

WhiskeyCollector wrote:Also I'd recommend stopping at a distillery or two. I see you've made it to the Jim Beam distillery, some of them have exclusive bottlings you can only get at the distillery like Heaven Hill and Maker's Mark.
Buffalo Trace has Vodka you can only get there but unfortunately no bourbons thanks to their local laws(that's what they told me anyway). Wish I could go to the NRA meeting, I'm a proud member. If you ever make it to Virginia you've got to go to their headquarters in Fairfax to see the National Firearms Museum if you haven't already. What an amazing collection they have.

Not enough time this trip to visit any of the distilleries. Hoping to do the bourbon trail in the next coming years.

I did visit Fairfax about 6 years ago and spent quite a few hours in the National Firearms Museum. Enjoyed visiting the headquarters all except for the crazy traffic.

Proud NRA life patron member
Mark (Gunrights)
gunrights

Unread postby gunrights » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:25 am

bcbandit wrote:Exit 121 off of I-65 South in Brooks , KY. turn right off ramp, Brooks liquors will be down on the left about a tenth of a mile.Nice folks , plenty of bourbon.

Thanks for the suggestion, is this the right place? Brooks Liquors, 150 Brooks Way Ste 1
Brooks, KY 40109-6105

If so adding it to my GPS
Mark (Gunrights)
gunrights

Unread postby gunrights » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:29 am

Is anyone familiar with Metropolitan Wine and Fine Spirits in downtown Nashville? Their website isn't much help but I probably will stop any way because it's within walking distance of hotel.
Mark (Gunrights)
gunrights

Unread postby bcbandit » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:11 am

gunrights wrote:
bcbandit wrote:Exit 121 off of I-65 South in Brooks , KY. turn right off ramp, Brooks liquors will be down on the left about a tenth of a mile.Nice folks , plenty of bourbon.

Thanks for the suggestion, is this the right place? Brooks Liquors, 150 Brooks Way Ste 1
Brooks, KY 40109-6105

If so adding it to my GPS

This is the place,been there several times.Right off of the interstate,easy to get to.
bcbandit

Unread postby gunrights » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:35 pm

Back from my trip, really enjoyed exploring some of the liquor stores on the way to Nashville. Found some items that I have not been able to get my hands on here in Indiana that my wife & I wanted to try.

Visited the liquor barn right off a 65, thought it was a really good store but more like a warehouse.

Did stop at Brooks liquors, turned out I was there probably a year ago and did not realize it until we showed up after the recommendation. First time I was there I purchased a bottle of Woodford reserve Master collection. This time I found the new Woodford Reserve rye available. (First liquor barn store did not have)

Third stop was the liquor barn Bowling Green Kentucky. Have to say that is one nice store. They had one of the biggest selections of bourbon and some items that the other stores did not have. Also they had a 1 ounce tasting bar (for a fee) that I have never seen anywhere else. Limited selection of tasting but still was excellent.

Fourth stop was Metropolitan Wine & Fine spirits in Nashville. I store limited selection prices higher but what you would expect from an inner-city store. Found a bottle of Jack Daniels White rabbit and green label.

Fifth stop on the way back home was back through Bowling Green. Was going to stop at the liquor barn again to pick up something for a friend. We were a little early so we stopped for breakfast at Bob Evans and saw a sign for Chuck's liquor store. Good selection actually a couple items we did not see in some of the other stores prices were a little higher. Did find some of the Jim Beam Rye yellow label for $16 a bottle. My wife likes it in old-fashioned's and now that it's not going to be available we have been stocking up. She likes it better than the new pre-prohibition version.
Mark (Gunrights)
gunrights

Unread postby gunrights » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:39 pm

Mark (Gunrights)
gunrights

Unread postby WhiskeyCollector » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:42 am

Looks like you had a great trip! There's a few bourbons I've never seen before here in Maryland like those Old Forester and Old Fitzgerald bottles.
WhiskeyCollector

Return to Bourbon, Straight