Running my own neighborhood Bourbon Tasting...need advice!

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Running my own neighborhood Bourbon Tasting...need advice!

Unread postby LLJH » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:01 am

Ok so what started as just a fun event in my neighborhood is now a full blown event. I have about 30 guys coming for my bourbon tasting. How much bourbon do I need? They all look like they like to drink. :)
LLJH

Re: Running my own neighborhood Bourbon Tasting...need advic

Unread postby fricky » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:52 pm

Organizing a tasting is dependent upon a few things. Is your intent to teach people about bourbon? Are the attendees bourbon aficionados? Is the intent simply to have a party and drink bourbon?
fricky

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:54 am

LLJH wrote:Ok so what started as just a fun event in my neighborhood is now a full blown event. I have about 30 guys coming for my bourbon tasting. How much bourbon do I need? They all look like they like to drink. :)

if its a gathering to try and compare bourbons, Id have maybe 6 offering. More than that and people forget the first one by the 5th one, and the options get too blurred. I always like to throw one good cheapie in the mix, and enjoy seeing how many people actually enjoy it. HH6BIB or HH6/90 are my typical put-ins for such a role.

you also have to figure proof ranges. if its a tasting/comparison, they should all be similarly proofed to level the playing field. Think Booker's versus Jim Beam white 7 year....same age range, same distillery, different proofs, VERY different experiences. I do most of my tastings at the 90-100 proof mark, but its just personal preference.

Dont go for 'flash', thinking you have to offer only upper shelf stuff. Most guys drink, and enjoy, mid shelf stuff. there are a LOT of good bourbons in the $25-35 range.

for how much to offer....if you do one ounce pours, one 750 bottle will supply 25 guys. half ounce pours are good for tastings, otherwise you end up with 30 hammered guys each having had 6 ounces.

finally....have fun!
393foureyedfox

Unread postby fricky » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:49 pm

When you pick your bourbons, taste them blind. it is always interesting to taste blind, since many people are easily influenced by the name.
fricky

Return to Bourbon, Straight