Fairly new to bourbon, looking for suggestions

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Fairly new to bourbon, looking for suggestions

Unread postby BigJoeC » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:46 am

Good morning. I'm really quite new to bourbon but love it. I personally like it chilled with granite rocks or, if it's a strong one, an ice cube.

Anyway, currently my go-to is Buffalo Trace. I love the price/taste ratio. However, my favorite sip is Jefferson's Reserve Very Small Batch. It's a bit pricier than I love to spend at $52 here in NJ but I'm likely getting a bottle this week.

I was wondering if anyone would offer suggestions for something near the $30 range that I should try based on the two I really like. I was thinking of trying out the Knob Creek 9 even though it may be a little more than $30.

I appreciate your thoughts.
BigJoeC

Re: Fairly new to bourbon, looking for suggestions

Unread postby Wasatch » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:37 pm

Just try it anyways, Old Forester Signature and/or WT Rare Breed. :D
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:52 pm

going by sub-$30 KY prices....

McKenna BIB, $30
Knob Creek, $27
Elijah Craig, $28
Larceny, $21
Old Grand Dad 114, $21
Wild Turkey 101, $18
Wild Turkey Rare Breed, $30
Fighting Cock, $17
Old Ezra 101, $17
Heaven Hill BIB, gold label is $10, white label 6 year is $11
Dickel #12, $22

the list goes on and on. I youve not had Dickel though, I recommend trying it. it is so different from 'bourbons' that its worth trying. If hesitant, grab a 375 bottle of it for like $12.

there's a lot of good bourbons out there for sub $30. the fun part is trying them all.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Al_T » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:41 am

I really like the Knob 9 its an excellent bold bourbon, My go to is Four Roses Single Barrel. I get it for about $35, I think in the $25 range the Even Williams Single Barrel is a good pour. Another in the $20 range is Weller 12 Year. It is a wheated bourbon and a nice change and really easy drinking. Elijah Craig I get for under $30 and is a nice drink as well. Woodford Reserve is not bad and can usually be had for about $25. I also like the EH Taylor small batch at about $35. The Jim Beam Signature Craft is very good and under $35. Eagle Rare can be had for about $25 and is a great drink. There are some great bourbons in the $20 to $35 dollar range. What I like to do is I will usually go to the liquor store once a week and look for something different. Buy it a try it and see what I think. I like to go to what I call the "Big Boy Room" that is where the store has the hard to get expensive stuff and is kept locked up behind glass. My wife hates it when I go in that room. :D
Al_T

Unread postby BigJoeC » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:17 am

393foureyedfox wrote:going by sub-$30 KY prices....

McKenna BIB, $30
Knob Creek, $27
Elijah Craig, $28
Larceny, $21
Old Grand Dad 114, $21
Wild Turkey 101, $18
Wild Turkey Rare Breed, $30
Fighting Cock, $17
Old Ezra 101, $17
Heaven Hill BIB, gold label is $10, white label 6 year is $11
Dickel #12, $22

the list goes on and on. I youve not had Dickel though, I recommend trying it. it is so different from 'bourbons' that its worth trying. If hesitant, grab a 375 bottle of it for like $12.

there's a lot of good bourbons out there for sub $30. the fun part is trying them all.

Thanks! I actually went to a store where the manager gave me tastings. I bought their own Four Roses blend and the McKenna BIB you referred to. Both are outstanding in their own way.
BigJoeC

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:02 pm

Ive heard many people imply that McKenna BIB is all over the place in profile, depending on who picked it. The one I have open here was a gift a few months ago and was a private selection by a large chain store here. If given to me blindfolded, Id swear it was WT, not a HH product.

In my opinion, pretty much anything from HH, WT, and Beam at 100 proof is a hit, while BF and 4R stuff I leave on the shelf. but, you know what they say about opinions.....
393foureyedfox

Unread postby imaregularjoe » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:28 am

When I first heard of BUFFALO TRACE, I thought it was another gimmick bourbon. You know, somebody jumping on the bourbon band wagon, hoping for quick sales for a rot-gut bourbon. However, after reading reviews and buying two bottles of this WONDERFUL brand, I am thoroughly sold on this bourbon. I recently swore that Blantons was the best bourbon out there however, Buffalo Trace is hands down one of the finest Neat drinking bourbons out there. Enjoy it. You won't be disappointed!
imaregularjoe

Unread postby devilscut » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:46 am

Yeah Joe, Buffalo Trace is a great bourbon, one of my two favorites. However, it's in such demand, they are running low on supply. You might want to stock up while you can get it.
devilscut

Unread postby Augmister » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:28 pm

Woodford Reserve and Eagle Rare are favorites. My everyday pour is Beam Black...real nice sipper. Lucky to find it for $24.99/1.75ml and have been loading the wagon. Went shopping last weekend and picked up two more. Also walked away with Bulleit and Elisha Craig 12.
Grab the 375ml's and try as many as you can. Great fun and you will quickly learn what you like and don't! Gonna be another bear of a winter and will be happy to have so many friends to play with....
Augmister

Unread postby imaregularjoe » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:20 am

I'll reiterate.... Buffalo Trace is as good as it gets. However, I'm one who prefers his bourbon NEAT. And Buffalo Trace is a very Neat bourbon.
imaregularjoe

Unread postby jaycamm » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:13 pm

My suggestion for newcomers to bourbon is to start on the bottom shelf and work your way up.
one whiskey for every ghost
jaycamm

Unread postby WhiskeyCollector » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:54 am

Evan Williams white label bottled in bond is pretty good, especially at $15. One of the best values out there IMO.
WhiskeyCollector

Unread postby adamglamb » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:54 pm

Buffalo Trace and Blanton's for the win!
adamglamb

Unread postby Eggman » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:19 am

Howdy,

Old Forester Signature and Jim Beam black label are two middle-shelf offerings that make for a good starting point. Enjoy!
Eggman

Unread postby MiPeGr » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:53 pm

Looking forward to trying an OFSig myself. Had an OFBB at a restaurant just before the holidays...hoping the OFSig will be similar.
MiPeGr

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight