The silliness of "call drinks"

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

The silliness of "call drinks"

Unread postby Cbalducc » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:48 pm

I don't understand why some people ask for "call drinks" at a bar - i.e., "Jack and Coke". To me, whatever distinct flavors Jack Daniels has (and I doubt most whiskey drinkers can taste the difference) are destroyed underneath Coca-Cola.
Cbalducc

Re: The silliness of "call drinks"

Unread postby CigarGuy » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:00 am

Possible they are not drinking for the taste?
CigarGuy

Unread postby gman58 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:07 am

In your opinion then should they be ordering their drink in a more generic fashion, like whiskey and coke?
Be Spirited Today
gman58

Unread postby FoTweezy » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:43 pm

b/c they're cheap! Plain and simple.
FoTweezy

Unread postby FoTweezy » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:06 am

b/c they're cheap.
FoTweezy

Unread postby ebo » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:52 pm

Cbalducc wrote:I don't understand why some people ask for "call drinks" at a bar - i.e., "Jack and Coke". To me, whatever distinct flavors Jack Daniels has (and I doubt most whiskey drinkers can taste the difference) are destroyed underneath Coca-Cola.

You don't think most whiskey drinkers can tell the distinct taste of JD between other whiskies, or after it's mixed with coke?
ebo

Unread postby FoTweezy » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:19 pm

opps! double post. sorry.

to clarify, people ask for well drinks b/c they don't want to spend the $$ of something top shelf especially b/c they're mixing it with coke. As a bartender, I appreciate these kinds of people. They don't start naming off brand names that we might not carry and on a busy night, I like the fact they know what they want: something cheap and easy. Nothing makes a bartender cringe more when somebody orders a fine, expensive whiskey & coke. Probably trying to show off to their friends.

ebo wrote:
Cbalducc wrote:I don't understand why some people ask for "call drinks" at a bar - i.e., "Jack and Coke". To me, whatever distinct flavors Jack Daniels has (and I doubt most whiskey drinkers can taste the difference) are destroyed underneath Coca-Cola.

You don't think most whiskey drinkers can tell the distinct taste of JD between other whiskies, or after it's mixed with coke?

I think if you were to pull the ole switcheroo and use Jim Beam or George Dickel instead of JD, most people wouldn't know the difference.
FoTweezy

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:58 pm

FoTweezy wrote:I think if you were to pull the ole switcheroo and use Jim Beam or George Dickel instead of JD, most people wouldn't know the difference.

Im far from an expert, but JD and GD have VERY definitive profiles that I can pick out of a lineup easily. Most bourbons, on any given night, I may confuse with another under the circumstances, but I can ALWAYS pick GD out of a lineup. Its a unique, and polarizing, profile....that I tend to like. Mixing it with coke.....who knows....coke can taste different itself from one place to the next. But I still think I could tell GD in a coke. People order 'jack' because its a name everyone knows, even if they know nothing of whiskies.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby pierceography » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:53 pm

For the same reason some people prefer their whiskey neat versus on the rocks, or barrel strength versus cut. It's all personal preference. Like most that went to college, I used to drink Jack & Coke because I couldn't stomach whiskey unless I was shooting it with a chaser. Now that my palate is more sophisticated, I drink my whiskey neat with the occasional splash of water if it's higher proof. But I don't look down on those that prefer to drink their whiskey on the rocks. Sure, *I* don't prefer it that way, but it doesn't mean it's wrong.
pierceography

Unread postby adamglamb » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:58 pm

pierceography wrote:For the same reason some people prefer their whiskey neat versus on the rocks, or barrel strength versus cut. It's all personal preference. Like most that went to college, I used to drink Jack & Coke because I couldn't stomach whiskey unless I was shooting it with a chaser. Now that my palate is more sophisticated, I drink my whiskey neat with the occasional splash of water if it's higher proof. But I don't look down on those that prefer to drink their whiskey on the rocks. Sure, *I* don't prefer it that way, but it doesn't mean it's wrong.

I concur with this post. And to throw this in, which may cause a riot, I typically drink all my whisk(e)y neat but I do really love the taste of Gentleman Jack and Coke for some reason. Just a really nice mix of flavors.
adamglamb

Unread postby masterbuilder » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:59 am

I'm going to go against all you guys.

There's a big difference between Jim Beam and Coke and 4 Roses and Coke.

Better whiskey always makes a better drink.
masterbuilder

Return to Bourbon, Straight