Jefferson's Ocean...any try it?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Jefferson's Ocean...any try it?

Unread postby Squire » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:29 am

Clearly and accurately stating what I believe to be true is abrasive? Oh well. I have no opinion on RVs or motorcycles but I've been on the Bourbon scene for a good while now and the years haven't dimmed my enthusiasm for the subject.

Do you find Jason Brauner's views abrasive as well because they differ from yours? In the video he clearly concludes, "I thought the Ocean would've imparted a little bit more flavor to the Bourbon and it really hasn't as far as my palate goes, and I think I have a pretty decent palate". Should he have sugar coated that for the benefit of his patrons who have bought into Zoeller's latest marketing ploy? I think not, I think the plain uncompromised truth is always the best form of information.
Squire

Unread postby coffeecupman » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:29 am

All opinions in this thread have been interesting and have added to the subject.

I think both of you should have a drink for me.

ccm
coffeecupman

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:26 pm

relax guys.

Squire is in no way an abrasive person, he just tells it like it is, and is a key reason I value him as a member here and on the 'other' bourbon site....you could learn a lot about bourbon from him, as he doesnt jump on the latest and greatest trends. If you want to see 'abrasive', try the other site....Ive given up posting there due to it
393foureyedfox

Unread postby RandyG » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:44 pm

For me, it's the taste that matters. Nothing more, nothing less. I would love to try some of this ocean going Jefferson's. Only then would I presume to comment on it's merits. Some people have a hard time with anything that is not created in the traditional manner, or distilled by somebody else. Others think that anything over $20 a bottle is insane and anybody spending more than that is an idiot. I take everything here with a grain of salt, absorb what I find worthy, and move on. We have lost a few knowledgeable contributors here lately, very knowledgeable. This bums me out as I was learning so much from them about the finer points of the overall experience. I cannot express enough thanks to all those knowledgeable souls, past and present. I hope that some day I will be able to join your ranks.

Cheers,
RG
RandyG

Unread postby loopline » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:46 pm

crappie_fisherman wrote:
Squire wrote:Joe I suggest your needle is stuck on this video. My opinion on Jeffersons goes back to including them in tastings since their first introduction some 15 years ago, back when they were still pretending to have to made the whisky themselves. I have been drinking Bourbon for fifty years, though I've only been conducting blind and comparative taste tests for the last 20 years or so. My conclusions are based on first hand experience rather than internet gleanings.

The written word is such that impressions are what they are...I'm no forum newbie...and have been around many different forum groups from trucks to RV's to motorcycles to mini coopers to liquor, etc...I have 10's of thousands of forum posts on various forums and have spent years interacting on them...and I must say...you do come off abrasive and arrogant and condescending in how you type :roll: ...

I'm still trying to figure out if that is you and your personality or if you are just being difficult...and I know we can all be difficult...but I'm still trying to decide on you... :wink:

I disagree, I appreciate Squire's input. He comes across to me as "serving facts". I mean facts are facts whether we like them or not, and he has laid out a lot of acts about it, but also everyone is entitled to their opinion. Having a variance or opposite opinion about someone doesn't mean that they are wrong, it means each person is unique. Try marriage for instance, 2 people that are very close can see 1 thing completely opposite and neither of them be wrong.

Its been proven people each see the world thru their own lenses, and they are also inclined to side/agree with what they are predisposed to. In the 7 habbits of highly effective people, Covey talks about how he repeatedly did experiments with 2 groups of people. Where he would show group A a picture of an old woman, group B a picture of a young woman and then bring the two groups together and show them a picture that had the old and young woman combined.

There were a few exceptions but without fail the vast majority of people from Group A would see only the old woman and Group B would see only the young woman. They would briefly argue, but given that they were in public and such and that they knew they were in an exerpiment after some discussion most people could begin to see both. However its noted that without that willingness to be open, in normal life many people would side with what they were predisposed to, even to the point of being aggressive in defending their position and stating that the opposite person was completely wrong.

The take away is there are so many different world views that its important to be open. I don't think anyone who has opinions here is wrong. The point is, bourbon, and all spirits are different to different people and even the video mentioned here - its clear different people get different take aways.

There are absolutes, such as I think we could all agree, none of us should go murder another person, or steal each others bourbon, but whether we think a bourbon is worth the price, tastes a certain way or a video means a certain thing, to each his own. If we were all the same wouldn't that be a boring world?

Its also somewhat subjective anyway. I have said for a while I thought Jeffersons Reserve was the best bourbon I had on my shelf (out of what I had) but the other night I poured a glass of it and of Russels reserve 10 year. I didn't track them and I mixed them up and sat down in a different room with them and snacks and a show. I kept changing my mind over which glass was better, and at a point cited I liked both the best, lol. I couldn't tell which was which, both were good.

Its a good lesson that when we enter into something unbiased and are open, change up our environment etc... things can take on a new light.

I think its safe to say if you poured an Ocean glass and something else that is nice, and asked 10 different people to tell you what they taste, smell and like, and why, you would get a wide range of opinions. Who is right? Everyone, its opinion.

My 2 cents.

Thanks crappie_fisherman for your feedback on the Oceans, Id still like to try it, but havent' yet found it.

Thanks Squire for your feedback and details, you provided info I didn't know. Im new"ish" to the bouron scene, in the past year, so I have a lot to try and learn. It all compounds though, and I am going to go read some more of your posts to see what else I can learn. :)
loopline

Unread postby crappie_fisherman » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:42 am

I offered my opinion on how I (that is a capital I) interpret his posts/words.

He does and has come off "abrasive", "condescending" and "arrogant" and I'll suggest as someone else did...that your needle may be stuck on this thread.

I'm forming my opinion on the interactions I see in most of his posts and I did state I'm still trying ot figure him out as to whether that is his personality or he is just an old sarcastic SOB...as we can all be occasionally...but when someone is that way ALL THE TIME...well...I tend to "block them" as I don't need to read their stuff (IMO).

I will close by offering that some folks needles are stuck in the 1960's and 70's when it comes to "traditional means" in bourbon aging/manufacturing and just because a bottle costs more than $20 or isn't Old Grand Dad doesn't mean it is "bad" or "not worth it"...WORTH is what someone is willing to pay...and if someone is willing to pay for it...and it is different than YOU like...doesn't make it stupid or foolish. There are many "new age" aging experiments going on and while many will be marketing gimmicks...not all will be...I mean Lincoln Henderson phenom ex Brown Foreman master distiller comes out with Angels Envy as his new company...one of the most popular juices out there for many folks...and I've heard it cut down on this forum by a certain individual because it is "different" than traditional and Lincoln's company is an NDP...

Now...if everyone wants to jump on my back and gang tackle me for offering up my opinion...which is different than YOURS...that's cool too...I'll just move on as life is just too freaking short my friends...

Cheers,
Joe.
crappie_fisherman

Unread postby Squire » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:39 am

You have a curious way of making friends Joe.
Squire

Previous

Return to Bourbon, Straight