Old Ftiz Larceny vs Old Fitz 8 YO (Stitzel Weller)

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Old Ftiz Larceny vs Old Fitz 8 YO (Stitzel Weller)

Unread postby Mike » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:14 pm

The 8 YO Old Fitzgerald is no longer available, being among the last of the true Stitzel Weller bourbons around. I bought a number of bottles a few years back and recently opened my last bottle. I thought it might be of some interest to compare it to Larceny, a bourbon I would place in the category of very good.

The 8 YO is 90 proof and the Larceny is 92 proof, and both are 'wheaters', which means that the other grain besides corn is wheat, not rye (and possibly some barley to provide some necessary enzymes for fermentation - which can also be accomplished with the addition of the enzymes themselves, absent the addition of barley grains). Both come from Heaven Hill.

Stitzel Weller bourbons are known for their soft sweetness, their ability to take advantage of longer barrel time (e.g. the classic Van Winkle bourbons) and, in my opinion, for a somewhat short finish. They are usually highly regarded among bourbon lovers, with good reason - they go down easily and have a nice subtlety often lacking in rye bourbons. BTW, rye and high rye bourbons have their own different attractions, which include warm (or hot) spices and a decided fruitiness.

The best estimates I have seen as to the age of the Larceny, which has no age statement as few bourbons do these days, is between 6 and 12 years. I suspect that the Old Fitzgerald 1849 sold today is within that same age range (it has not had an age statement for several years and it may now be even younger than Larceny since it is cheaper).

To editorialize a bit here, In whiskeydom these days it seems necessary to offer new brands pretty often to take advantage of a market that seems to demand novelty (whether the differences in the product are real, or imagined, is not the criteria here) and Larceny is, to my mind, a prime example of this.

The taste profile of the two is quite similar, but I find the Larceny finishes with a slightly sharper edge. Both are recognizably Heaven Hill bourbons in their round sweetness.

Just for fun I tried them against Bernheim Wheat bourbon. It is softer than either of the others, and is comparable in quality - on some days superior.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: Old Ftiz Larceny vs Old Fitz 8 YO (Stitzel Weller)

Unread postby Squire » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:26 pm

I think the whole Laceny packaging is kind of hokey but I guess they believed it better to create a new brand.
Squire

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:00 am

I kinda like the larceny bottle/label. Hokey? maybe, but Ive seen far worse (have you seen the new OGD label.....ha!). and, its a far better looking label than Fitz BIB. Thats actually a good whiskey, but the cheap looking label kept me from trying it for a long time, as I expected the quality to match the label.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Squire » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:59 pm

Yes, in the marketplace perception often wins out. Swedish bikini girls sell more beer than a couple of old codgers in a fishing boat.
Squire

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:30 am

us men are simple, predictable folk.......
393foureyedfox

Return to Bourbon, Straight