Novice bourbon consumer

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Novice bourbon consumer

Unread postby Royboy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:16 am

Greetings bourbon enthusiasts of all stripes. I am a casual consumer of bourbon and scotch whiskey. Generally, I sip a few times a month with good friends at home or at a variety of reputable (and not so reputable) establishments. I certainly don't consider my palette very refined, but I know what I like and dislike. For the past decade I was a full-time caretaker for my father, so I spent a lot of time in my childhood home. When he passed away, I began the ritual cleaning that every unfortunate child has to go through. I'm sure you can all guess where this is going. In the very back corner of Pop's liquor cabinet I found two bottles, which I would appreciate any thoughts on. They are both very nice (maybe too nice) for my limited palette. First, a bottle of 12 year Very, very old Fitzgerald (barreled in '54 and bottled in '66) and second, a 30 year Ballantine's scotch. My dad was obviously not a bourbon/scotch drinker since these bottles were never taken out of there packaging. My guess is that these were house-warming presents or X-mas presents when my parents moved from the big city in '67. Looking for any thoughts on what characteristics these will have, etc. oops late for work. Talk at ya'll soon.
Royboy

Return to Bourbon, Straight