Stitzel Weller Hilton Bourbon approx 55 yrs old

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Stitzel Weller Hilton Bourbon approx 55 yrs old

Unread postby PhoenixLady » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:03 pm

I am new to this forum, and apologize if I should be asking this question elsewhere. I have an unopened 4/5 quart bottle of Stitzel Weller distillery Straight Bourbon Whisky bottled for Hiton Hotels which I've had for 45 yrs and know it's older than that. The person who gave it to me had it for over 10 years before I received it. My question is that I wonder if anyone could give me some comments about the possible quality of this bourbon. It has never been opened, and still retains it's cork stopper. It's always been kept in a dark cool location (cellar and/or back of liquor cabinet). My thanks in advance.
PhoenixLady

Re: Stitzel Weller Hilton Bourbon approx 55 yrs old

Unread postby Squire » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:56 pm

If the seal hasn't been compromised it should be fine, a caveat though, when you open the bottle the cork may well break so be prepared to decant it into another vessel.
Squire

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:14 pm

enjoy it! it'd be a shame to keep it sealed, just because.

I told my parents once that the best inheritance they could give us would be nothing....in that they lived a happy life and enjoyed everything they had.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:22 am

Based on what you said, it should be fantastic if it isn't cloudy.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby peterh » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:39 pm

Just remember (I'm sure you know this) that the bourbon hasn't been aged for 55 years, the age only 'counts' when in barrel. So I'd guess this is a 4yr - 6yr bourbon, bottled 55 years ago.
peterh

Unread postby Squire » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:01 pm

What is the proof on that label Lady? That will tell us much about the age when bottled.
Squire

Unread postby PhoenixLady » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:57 pm

Wow, I've learned a lot already. Since I'm new I also posted a query to the WELCOME Page when I joined. You have so many forums it was daunting. Answers to your questions.
History: One of my relatives was employed at the St.Louis, MO., Statler Hilton hotel during the 1950-1970's. After a party whatever food and beverage was paid for, but not taken by the customer, was distributed to the hotel staff in lieu of tip money - that practice later stopped. He had a large collection in the cellar he would give as gifts. For our wedding, 45 years ago, he gave my husband several various bottles. I remember arguing with my husband because there was no room in the "Bug" to pack wedding gifts and his precious bottles. But he said his bottles were valuable (at least 10 yrs old). I know he did see my relative's collection so he knew something. Oh, and many of the presents were left behind and shipped later.

1. It is a straight bourbon whiskey bottled for Statler Hilton hotels by Stotzel-Weller Distillery, Louisville, KY.
2. Bottle is in excellent shape. It's amazing to have traveled with us around the country from univ to univ for 45 years and survived.
2. We recv'd the bottle with the label almost totally scraped off, but some still legible. Sorry, no proof mark.
3. When I hold the bottle up to sunlight I can read thru the bottle. The color of the liquid is an intense reddish-orange and sort of sparkly, not cloudy.
4. Still has it's cork stopper, but the plastic top is broken off, but I have. Microscopic bits of cork in fluid. Like a vague floater in your vision.
5. I appreciate the excellent advice to enjoy everything when you can and not leave an inheritance as my husband did for me. I would rather have him.
PhoenixLady

Unread postby Squire » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:09 pm

Ok Lady, I'll take a whack at it.

During the time period (1960s - early 70s) the principal product of the Stitzel-Weller distillery was it's flagship brand Old Fitzgerald. This was bottled in bond at 6 years of age and 100 proof. They made some older expressions at 8-10-12 years old, but it's unlikely yours is older than six which is itself a solid, mature whisky. The production methods in place in Stitzel-Weller at the time made a whisky that was fully mature between 4-6 years and the older expressions actually came about because of changes in societal drinking habits. Bourbon and whisky in general was being replaced in cocktails (shaken not stirred) by gin, vodka and rum and there was a surplus of unsold Bourbon on the market. So producers just labeled it older as it got older.

The older expressions are not any higher quality, just older. On the same note whisky does not age in the bottle so the maturity of yours is essentially the same as the day it was bottled.

The broken cork and floaty bits are not a problem, just use a cork screw and decant the contents through a tea strainer or coffee filter.

Whisky is very stable stuff so if the seal has remained relatively intact the contents should be fine. What you have (I hope) is a first rate example of traditional Bourbon making and an excellent conversation piece.
Squire

Unread postby PhoenixLady » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:22 pm

Thank you Squire for the additional information. I don't intend to open this bottle yet. I can not bring myself to part with anything of my husbnd's yet, too soon. However, when it's time I'll make sure a real bourbon enthusiast like yourselves takes possession of the bottle. As to a conversation piece, you guys and the pilot across the street are the only ones who know about the bottle, so I'll just put it back in the cupboard. Thank you all again for the additional information. I may stick around and read some of the other topics. You're all fascinating in your appreciation and knowledge of bourbon.
PhoenixLady

Return to Bourbon, Straight