Best food & snack matches with Bourbon...

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Best food & snack matches with Bourbon...

Unread postby ChicagoMike » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:15 pm

What would you advise as food or snack pairings that taste great with good bourbon whiskey ?
"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..." (Keith Richards)
ChicagoMike

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:59 pm

This is an interesting question, but I would have to answer it in that all food and snacks go well with bourbon, but the real question might be what bourbon goes well with what snack. For example a fruity bourbon like Old Grand Dad goes well with a fruity dessert, but I find I enjoy it with a salty snack like chips or peanuts as well. A caramel rich bourbon goes great with any type of chocolate, but I also enjoy it with a good cheese with crackers. Julian likes his bourbons with gouda cheese.

There are many combinations that work well with me. Then again everybody's taste are different, so you need to work some of these pairings for yourself. The next time you have a bourbon in hand, think about the flavor you might want to go with that bourbon. Julian was saying last night that the Pappy 20 is great with a steak before a warm fire. Pappy 23 on the other hand is much better after dinner. I personally think I might prefer the opposite with the more wood and tannic dryness of the 23 yo with a nice juicey steak and the sweeter caramel / not as woody flavor of the 20 with a chocolate dessert.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Bourbon, Straight