Bourbon in mixed drinks

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Bourbon in mixed drinks

Unread postby JH » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:16 pm

Could anyone steer me to a good bourbon for Manhattans & Old Fashions? I was going to get a friend a bottle of Four Roses until he told me he doesn't drink bourbon straight, but in Manhattans & Old Fashions. It seems like a waste of $$$ to spend $30 on a bourbon used in mixed drinks. Maybe a good "mixer" bourbon local to KY?
Is it an easy drive from Bourbon's Bistro to the Louisville airport 7-7:30 Friday night? I have to pick up relatives at the Louisville airport around 8:15 Friday night & would like to stop at the Bourbon's Bistro before if it's not too much of a hassle. My nephew can always drive back to Lexington :) .
Merry Xmas.
JH

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:19 pm

I kinda like a Manhattan made with Wild Turkey 101.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:41 pm

JH,
There are people who have the philosophy that better bourbons make better cocktails. Four Roses would make excellent Manhattans and Old Fashioned Cocktails and would be a fine choice. I would say that there are cheaper alternatives such as Old Forester, Wild Turkey 101, Buffalo Trace, Very Old Barton, Knob Creek, Evan Williams and Maker's Mark.

The nice thing about Louisville is that you are only about 15 minutes away from anywhere. The one thing you do want to avoid on Friday Night before Christmas is the Mall St Matthews/Oxmoor Mall area because traffic will be a pain. From the Airport, come north on I65 until you approach the river. Head east on I64 towards Lexington and get off at the Story Avenue exit. It is one way west and at the first light turn left - I think that is Spring Street - and go to the next light and turn left on Mellwood which is one way going west. Pass under the expressway and the light is Frankfort Avenue. Turn right and Bourbon's Bistro will be on your left after you cross the railroad tracks. That should take you about 15 minutes to get there from the airport. Going back to the airport simply take Frankfort back toward Mellwood and it ends at Story Avenue. The ramp to the expressway is to your left and getting back to the airport will be even quicker.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Mark » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:28 pm

I'm not a huge fan of Knob Creek but it sure does make one spectacular Manhattan. Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 13yo makes a pretty darned good one as well!
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby TNbourbon » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:23 pm

I'd second Mark's VW rye recommendation -- I prefer straight rye to bourbon in Manhattans.
TNbourbon

Unread postby cowdery » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:57 am

I also tend to prefer rye for manhattans, generally Rittenhouse BIB.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby JH » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:30 pm

Thanks for the feedback folks, & the directions Mike, sounds like an esay run from the Bistro to the airport.
I think I'll get him a bottle of Old Forrester 100, good bourbon, resonable price for a mixer, & we only get the 86 proof here.
I asked him about rye but he said he hadn't had any in 25 years, it's not real popular here. I'll give him a "sample" of my Old Overholt to try.
Merry Xmas.
JH

Return to Bourbon, Straight