Evan Williams vs Evan Williams........and the World!

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Evan Williams vs Evan Williams........and the World!

Unread postby Mike » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:02 pm

EW 1783 vs EW Black Label.

As far as I know, the Black Label is charcoal filtered and the 1783 is not. The Black Label reminds me a bit of Dickle, while the 1783 does not.

Still, I think they are damn good low cost whiskies. For under $35, you could have a bottle of each of the EW's and a bottle of Ancient Ancient Age 10 YO and, in this old fellow's opinion, you would be living well.

Each has plenty of aroma, flavor, character, smoothness, and a good finish. I could name a few much more expensive bourbons that these babies will put to shame...........but I won't cause my list would be different from yours anyway.

Salute to Evan Williams and Heaven Hill!!!!!!!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:37 pm

I agree most fervently.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby cowdery » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:12 am

As for the "charcoal filtering" of Evan Williams, EW is a Jack Daniel's clone, like Ezra Brooks and others. In the interest of being like Jack, they and other bourbons put the words "charcoal filtered" on their labels. Those whiskeys so labeled do, in fact, pass through a little charcoal before bottling, as part of their chill-filtering. If the distillery uses some activated charcoal in its chill-filtering, that's used to support a "charcoal filtered" label claim. This, of course, has nothing to do with the Lincoln County Process. In other words, it is of little consequence. If any Heaven Hill bourbon is "charcoal filtered" then they all are unless they aren't chill filtered at all.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby Mike » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:57 am

Interesting news, Chuck. Methinks I can detect some charcoal in the regular EV that I don't pick up in the 1783............but that could be the power of suggestion in that the label on the regular says 'charcoal filtered' while there is no such label on the 1783.

The flavor of the two is quite similiar, but not exactly the same. As I recall, the 1783 is a bit older, by at least 3 years.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby cowdery » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:49 pm

The 1783 is a 10-year-old. Black was 7, but today who knows? I can say with confidence that they have an equal amount of contact with charcoal, however. The main difference probably is that since 1783 is made in much smaller quantities, it is profiled (i.e., selected) differently.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby Brewer » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:09 am

I like both the 1783 and the black label. I like both a hell of a lot more than Jack Daniels black label. If in fact EW is a JD clone, there's something much different about the 2 to my palate that is very discernable. Both EW are good drinkin' bourbons IMHO.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby OneCubeOnly » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:23 pm

I'd have a hard time classifying EW as a JD clone--although I certainly see the packaging and marketing similarities.

Wouldn't it be more proper to say they are competitors for the same market share?
OneCubeOnly

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:47 pm

I do believe that what Chuck is refering to when he discusses "Jack Daniel Clones" are more like "marketing clones". These are products that look like Jack Daniels and often use many simlar phrases (charcoal filtered) but are radically different products. They are playing on the success of Jack Daniels advertising and sales, hoping for a free boost in their sales. It still happens today with other products. After Woodford Reserve took off, there was flurry of new "Reserve" whiskies in flask type bottles (Jefferson Reserve, Ridge(wood)mont Reserve, Thedford Reserve). It is an old pratice that will never die out.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Bourbon, Straight