Question about Jim Beam

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Question about Jim Beam

Unread postby missedone » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:55 pm

I'm new to the forum buy have read many times. I do not know a great deal about whiskey but am interested and in the process of learning. I generally favor corn whiskey's with rye as the minor grain. I do not care for Jim Beam but understand that it is a indeed a ryed whiskey. Why am I not detecting an intensity in flavor that rye would give in Jim Beam. I work in a liquor store part time and have had the opportunity to try many whiskeys. I find Beam to be rather bland and also fine a lack of complexity in other Beam products, ie Basil Hayden. I also consider Jefferson to be similar. Yet Beam is second in sales only to Jack Daniels. What am I missing.? What do I need to look for in these products that I am currently failing to appreciate?

I would appreciate any comments you may have.
missedone

Unread postby OneCubeOnly » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:55 am

I wouldn't discount your own tasting abilities because you find Jim Beam bland. As condescending as this may sound, when it comes to the public at large, there's really no accounting for taste. What I mean by that is: you can't assume that because something is popular or a big seller that it's automatically good.

For some unknown reason, Americans have embraced the notion that being tasteless is a good thing. Look at our bread, our beer, even our most popular liquor (ie. vodka).

If you'd like to try some Jim Beam products that aren't similar to 'brown vodka', I'd suggest Jim Beam Black or Booker's. Old Grandad 117 is also a Jim Beam product and is by no means a tasteless bourbon!
OneCubeOnly

Unread postby gillmang » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:47 am

I wouldn't call Jim Beam White bland (or say Woodford Reserve for that matter but I have heard people say so for that one too).

I think it is a whiskey which has a pronounced flavor but one which is not to everyone's taste. Beam uses a lot of rye in its mash and it shows up in a particular way, also, the house yeast may contribute to the firm, woody/earthy character.

It is not a refined bourbon, but many people like its straightforward unadorned taste. And it comes through well in cocktails I imagine.

As was just noted, the mass taste is not necessarily discerning and also is influenced by advertising and other cultural factors.

Personally I believe Beam White was a better whiskey 20 years ago and the name recognition still carries on from then. I think too it may have gone through a rough patch for a while in flavor, and recent tastings suggest to me it is getting better.

However if it still does not please, I agree that the premium expressions offered by Beam are a better bet. I like Knob Creek the best.

If you want to try a different approach to bourbon, try Buffalo Trace. To my mind that is a better whiskey, its taste is more complex, it is older and more interesting than Beam White.

For something that costs about the same as Beam White that I feel is better, try Old Forester or Evan Williams Black Label, excellent whiskeys with good mix of distillery character and barrel age.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:41 am

Jim Beam is a product that appeals to the lowest common denominator of the taste of the people. As long as there is nothing offensive, and people don't taste too much when they mix it with their coke, they will buy it. There is nothing wrong with the brand. It is good whiskey for what it is suppose to do, but if you want a little more flavor in your drink step up to Jim Beam Black or Knob Creek in the Beam products. If you want a good alternative brand try Ancient Ancient Age, Very Old Barton, Old Forester, Rare Old Heaven Hill 10yo, Weller Antique, Wild Turkey 101 or Four Roses Yellow Label.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby missedone » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:37 pm

Thanks very much for your comments. Gary, you state that Beam uses a lot of rye in their mash. This is where I get confused. I generally do not like the wheated corn whiskeys. I can appreciate the quality the Van Winkle corn whiskeys, as an example, but I wouldn't give a nickel a bottle for them regardless of age for my own use. I am simply not picking up the rye in Beam f it is there. I am very fond of the taste of Bulleit bourton and I understand that the mash for it is 18% rye.

Has anyone heard if Bulleit has plans to release a small batch or single barrel product? Thanks, JJ
missedone

Unread postby OneCubeOnly » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:08 pm

Has anyone heard if Bulleit has plans to release a small batch or single barrel product?

It already exists...it's called "Four Roses Single Barrel." Unfortunately it's one of those Kentucky-only delights, at least for now.
OneCubeOnly

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:28 pm

Bulleitt is already considered a "small batch" product. As for single barrel versions of Bulleitt, there are none that I know of at this time, but I would not be suprised to see Diageo do a single barrel in the future.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby gillmang » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:43 pm

Yes, Beam has two mash recipes for its rye-recipe bourbon. One is higher than the other in rye but both are not shabby for the rye element. Jim Beam White Label uses less rye I believe than say Old Grandad or Baker's but the rye palate is still quite evident to my taste (ditto Booker's, Knob Creek).

I agree that Bulleit is very rye-oriented.

The funny thing about rye is it shows itself in different ways depending on the whiskey. In some it is minty or wintergreen-like. In others more like cinammon candy. In others yet again more like roses or floral of some kind, and in yet further variations it is earthy/muddy-like or even oniony. I was nosing some straight rye and Canadian rye recently and the chives/onion thing hit me although then it changed. Rye is a very versatile feedstock.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Return to Bourbon, Straight