Four Roses Single Barrel

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Four Roses Single Barrel

Unread postby abcgroup » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:54 pm

I fell in love with this drink a few months back. I am finally down to my last drink. I live in Georgia but have family in Knoxville, TN.

I am willing to drive to Kentucky for a long day drive to buy Four Roses but need to know from you Bowling Green/Kentucky Boys...what is the closest store to the TN border that carries my beloved bottle of Four Roses single barrel?

do tell...
abcgroup

Unread postby TNbourbon » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:14 am

Along the I-65N corridor, Chuck's at Exit 22 is the first liquor store you come to, and you'll find Four Roses Single Barrel (and Small Batch) there. Lots of other stuff, too.
There is a related store -- Chuck Evan's Liquor Outlet -- west of Exit 28.
TNbourbon

Unread postby abcgroup » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:22 am

65 is the express way that takes you up to Louisville, correct?
abcgroup

Unread postby TNbourbon » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:40 pm

abcgroup wrote:65 is the express way that takes you up to Louisville, correct?

Correct -- I-65 runs from Mobile, Ala. to Gary, Ind. If you are traversing Tennessee to Kentucky further east, I-75, from Chattanooga to Lexington, may be a better option. However, I don't think you get to a 'wet' county in KY until the Lexington area.
TNbourbon

Unread postby Mike » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:03 pm

abcgroup, check to see how far Cumberland KY is from Knoxville. It is well east of Knoxville but may not be as far as Bowling Green from K'ville.

I was in Cumberland in the spring and bought two bottles of FRSB from a liquor store there. When I was there a bottle of WT 12 YO remained on the shelf. Cumberland is in a moist county, that is, the county is dry but Cumberland is wet and has at least on liquor store on the main street. At the time they had plenty of FRSB and that one glorious bottle of WT 12 YO. Who knows if it is still there but it had been there a long time when I saw it. I made the mistake of not getting it since I had just bought two bottles of the WT 12 YO elsewhere.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby cowdery » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:52 pm

Ask the family to check around Knoxville, as I know a little bit of Four Roses distribution has leaked out of Kentucky into some adjacent states. Otherwise, you might have to go all the way to Richmond on I-75. Another possibility is Hazard, which is about 60 miles east of I-75. You get off at London and take the Hal Rogers Parkway. Hazard is a wet city in a dry county, as is Richmond. In both cities I expect the liquor stores will be very well stocked, as they have to serve a very large area.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby gillmang » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:02 pm

Just incidentally, Hazard (a name I find evocative because of the famous tv show, "The Dukes of Hazard") is the place an esteemed member of straightbourbon.com found bottles of "Black Gold", a bourbon which was put on the market (going by various indicia) some 25 years ago. This bourbon has an unusual, rum-like taste, which I like a lot but some SB-ers find not to their taste. By the label data it is a product of Old Cummins Distillery or whoever owned its brands at the time of production (estimated mid-70's). My best guess, based too on some net research, is that Barton Brands made it. It is an excellent bourbon, if you like dark rum at any rate (which I do), and from what I have heard, has never been seen elsewhere than Hazard, KY. Whether there is any left there on retail shelves, I cannot say.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Return to Bourbon, Straight