White Dog ? ?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby BourbonBalls » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:43 pm

Here's a few more pics......
BourbonBalls

Unread postby BourbonBalls » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:45 pm

whoops...Im not so good at attaching pics!
Attachments
mini-Pappy's.jpg
mini-Pappy's.jpg (14.78 KiB) Viewed 4367 times
mini-Young and old.jpg
mini-Young and old.jpg (14.76 KiB) Viewed 4367 times
BourbonBalls

Unread postby BourbonBalls » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:46 pm

a couple more
Attachments
mini-Bulleit.jpg
mini-Bulleit.jpg (14.03 KiB) Viewed 4362 times
mini-mini-Bar.jpg
mini-mini-Bar.jpg (13.34 KiB) Viewed 4362 times
BourbonBalls

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:17 pm

Great photos Micheal. It looks like you had a pretty good presentation going on there. It sounds like you did quite well and maybe made a few converts away from wine peated alcohol. If I get a chance, I would love to come to California to participate in one of your tastings. From the looks of things in the photographs, I was thinking about mid-January would be an excellent time to go to one of your tastings...
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby BourbonBalls » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:40 pm

Mike...I'd be honored to have you out here in California....We'd have a great tasting and you're presence would make it an event!

Anytime of the year is pretty good weather out here, so come on out anytime.

I forgot to mention that we did the tasting at 2 pm....between meals for the palette, then we did Bar B Que ribs and chicken afterward! If you come out in January we'll do it outside again.....If we do it at nite, the evenings get a bit chilly here in the winter so we'd be inside...

Either way, It'll be fun. We'll also make the 20 minute drive into Hollywood and go the Magic Castle there. Its a private club for Magicians and their guests. I think you'd like the bars there. I also did a tasting there about a year ago. We're talking about another one coming up soon.

Bring some Bourbon country this way!
BourbonBalls

Unread postby Brewer » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:53 pm

Mike,

Looks like you did all of us Enthusiast's proud! :cheers: You had a well thought out array of bourbons (love the idea of having the white dog included as an "educational tool". Nice array of bourbons from young (mild flavored) to older, robust flavors.

Its good to let a few more people "in" on our bourbon world. Thanks for sharing with us as well!
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby BourbonBalls » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:47 pm

Oh...I forgot to mention . . .

The favorite of the afternoon was the Old Grand Dad 114!

After the tasting I told everyone they could come back and pour anything they wanted from the list and OGD114 was the one.
BourbonBalls

Unread postby OscarV » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:42 pm

I have read this thread and found it interesting. Good job Michael, I wish I could have been there.
I do have a comment on the White Dog and Georgia Moon.
I have smelled real White Dog at the Woodford Reserve distillery. It is hard for me to describe it, but it does smell a lot like the scent that is in the air from the mash cooking but more concentrated and not as much on the cereal side and a little sweeter.
I have also smelled (and drank) White Lighting which is of course illeagal unaged whiskey. I got it in Alabama.
And the White Lighting has a kerosene smell to it, and to me the Georgia Moon has that same kerosene smell but not as strong.
I don't know what the proof of the White Lighting was, but I tossed a shot of it in the fireplace and it flamed up, not has explosive as gasoline but definatly more flamable than charcoal lighter fluid, with a big blue flame.
I guess my point to all of this is that the Georgia Moon is closer to White Lighting than White Dog.
OscarV

Previous

Return to Bourbon, Straight