Goldilocks and the Three Jugs

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Goldilocks and the Three Jugs

Unread postby MikeK » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:14 am

This jug is too big (impossible!), this jug is too small, this jug is juuuust right!

Behold my set of Heaven Hill "Master Distiller Select" jugs. Aren't they cute! :o

The first one is a 750ml I found in Phoenix. Next is the 375ml souvenier jug sold at the Bourbon Heritage Center. Finally is a miniature size jug handed out at the Heritage Center last year in the testing room.. Alas is was served empty.

The 750ml jug was a nice pour, but not remarkable, similar to Eagle Rare 10yo. Strangely, even though the seal seemed quite tight, the 375ml souvenier jug had mostly evaporated as was quite foul when I opened it a year after purchase. :(

Cheers,
Mike
Attachments
hh_jugs.jpg
hh_jugs.jpg (79.66 KiB) Viewed 5025 times
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:08 am

I have heard more than one person complain about the 750ml jug being heavily evaported or even empty upon purchase. Heaven Hill should probably look for a way to improve that seal. Maybe some red wax over the cork and neck...

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby MikeK » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:20 am

bourbonv wrote:I have heard more than one person complain about the 750ml jug being heavily evaported or even empty upon purchase. Heaven Hill should probably look for a way to improve that seal. Maybe some red wax over the cork and neck...

Mike Veach

That would be a good idea. The evaporation surprised me because the cork is very long and fits quite a way down the neck of the jug. There was also a pronounced hiss as I extracted the cork, there was apparently quite a vacuum in there.

Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:37 am

The Bourbon's Bistro was complaining they had a whole case delivered and 3 of the jugs were either empty or mostly empty. If 50% loss is the norm, you would think they would do something about it.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Bourbon, Straight