Barton lawsuit

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Barton lawsuit

Unread postby brendaj » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:21 pm

Poor ol' Barton can't seem to catch a break...they're back in court again. This time it's due to odor and emissions, not bottle design... :P
http://www.kystandard.com/articles/2006/07/13/news/local_news/news01.txt

Since I live at Ground Zero , it's going to be a nightmare for me... :? As much as I hate to admit it, some of the stuff they're saying is absolutely true. We pressure wash these buildings a couple of times a year due to the black mold, and I just lost a renter because the buildings looked 'so dirty'. Plus, it's a pain in the ass to keep it off my car... :roll:

I've never minded the smell of mash cooking. To be honest, I even like it (smells like money to me... :wink: ) But, my landlord has had the health problems they're talking about for about, for as long as I've lived here.
Something to watch...
Bj
As a Kentuckian, I consider it my civic duty to drink Bourbon, smoke and bet the ponies. Its a tuff job, but someone has to do it...
brendaj

Unread postby Brewer » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:10 am

Brenda,

I know we spoke about this issue in the past. Sorry for all that its come to this, but it makes me wonder about the effect of other distilleries in their communities. Is there anything similiar going on near HH or JB for example?
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby brendaj » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:49 am

Bob,
No, not that I know of...yet. But you're exactly right, that's the first thing I thought of too. This could have huge repercussions in the industry.

I'll pass along anything I hear...
Bj
As a Kentuckian, I consider it my civic duty to drink Bourbon, smoke and bet the ponies. Its a tuff job, but someone has to do it...
brendaj

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:48 am

About 15 years ago, Brown-Forman got stuck with a huge steam cleaning bill for houses that surround Early Times Distillery. I thought that it was totally unfair because the distillery was there first and when you build next to a distillery, then you should expect to get black fungus growing on your house. The distillery should not be expected to pay for your lack of research when buying property.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Brewer » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:30 pm

bourbonv wrote:About 15 years ago, Brown-Forman got stuck with a huge steam cleaning bill for houses that surround Early Times Distillery. I thought that it was totally unfair because the distillery was there first and when you build next to a distillery, then you should expect to get black fungus growing on your house. The distillery should not be expected to pay for your lack of research when buying property.

Mike Veach

Great point Mike. Reminds me of a local situation if you can believe it, but this is true. Since I was a kid, the town dump has been located on the outskirts of the town. Over the years, it has naturally gotten bigger as the population grew. As the population grew, more people began living closer to the dump. Lo & behold, one day the wind blows a certain way & they get a whiff of their neighbor! :shock: Damn, nobody told me there was a dump there! :roll: Well, unfortunately, I guess those folks didn't do a good job with their location, location, location homework. The dump ain't going anywhere else & they gotta live with it.

So, I agree with the old saying, let the buyer beware. Ya gotta live with what's there before you. Doesn't mean you have to let the situation get worse though, or that there might be means to co-exist in a mutually beneficial way. I'll get off my soapbox now, thank you! :wink:
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:57 pm

Bob,
The same thing has happened here in Kentucky when some city slickers "move to the country to get away from it all" and have bought their lot next to a pig farm. They complained about the smell and tried to force the farmer out of business. They lost their legal case and had to learn to love the smell of pig shit.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Brewer » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:35 pm

I've heard similiar stories from upstate NY, GA, seems like everywhere. What the hell do people think??? Guess they want to get away from the strip malls, and then have 'em added so it feels like "home"???
Bob
Brewer

Return to Bourbon, Straight