Open Bottle Question

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Open Bottle Question

Unread postby Geekboy » Wed May 24, 2006 11:16 pm

I have a very few 'top shelf' bourbons. At least that is my opinion.
After I've opened a bottle how long before I should finish it?

Does the age matter? Example, an Elijah Craig 12 year old that I love I opened about three weeks ago and is still half full, I was wondering how long before I should finish it off? Believe me, I'd like to finish it off tonight....but realistically how long before it might 'change?'

Thanks!
Geekboy

Unread postby Strayed » Thu May 25, 2006 1:44 am

Should be fine down to about a third (i.e. twice as much air as whiskey in the bottle). After that, I usually pour the remainder into a smaller bottle, like a 200ml for example. I scan the label, print off a copy, and stick that on the smaller bottle, then write the details on the back of the smaller bottle with magic marker. That way it doesn't oxidize. I learned the hard way that that can happen. I also maintain a generic bottle (a nice, cut-class back-bar decanter) that I eventually dump all my "dregs" into. Thus, it changes constantly. But people often think of it as the best whiskey in the house!
=JOHN= (the "Jaye" part of "L & J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
Strayed

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu May 25, 2006 10:49 am

I will add that John's recommendation is only needed if you are going to take more than a month or so to finish the bottle. Oxidation does not happen over night, but it will take place after a while. I recommend that you drink an open bottle within a couple of months if you are drinking it on a regular basis.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby cowdery » Thu May 25, 2006 9:25 pm

As Mike says, it takes a long time for whiskey in even a nearly-empty bottle to oxidize to the point where the change is noticable and unpleasant, and some older whiskeys seem to benefit from a little additional oxidation.

By "a long time" I mean years.

If, however, you are concerned about it, rebottling as John suggests is one solution. Another is to obtain (if such are still available) glass marbles or something similar. Wash them well and add them to the bottle to bring the level of spirit up near the top. You then have to be very careful about pouring, but it looks pretty cool and you get to keep the original bottle and label intact.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby Strayed » Fri May 26, 2006 1:00 am

cowdery wrote:...obtain (if such are still available) glass marbles or something similar. Wash them well and add them to the bottle to bring the level of spirit up near the top... ...it looks pretty cool and you get to keep the original bottle and label intact.

OOOooo! Nifty! I'm going to try that! (currently I just keep the empty on the shelf, but this will save **very precious** shelf space AND look really neat. Thanks!
=JOHN= (the "Jaye" part of "L & J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
Strayed

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri May 26, 2006 9:54 am

You also want to avoid storing bourbon in direct sunlight. It will change a bourbon's flavor in some unpleasnt ways over an extended period of time.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby gillmang » Fri May 26, 2006 10:49 am

I certainly agree. Once in Chicago at a hotel there I sampled two whiskeys that were exposed to strong light in a multi-tiered backbar display. The plate glass behind may have fronted on the street. One of the whiskeys was perfect. I don't know though how long it had been there. The other one was spoiled and was an obscure brand that had been there a long time evidently. I don't think normal room light, even partially exposed to ourdoor sun, can harm a bottle, but strong direct light over an extended time may, in my view. Of course if they are turned over quickly, e.g. in a retail store context, light won't do any harm and I have never bought a bottle anywhere at retail in the world (even in some seemingly low-volume places in the Caribbean) where I felt the light had hurt the product.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Return to Bourbon, Straight