Kentucky Bourbon Hall of Fame

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby angelshare » Sun May 14, 2006 9:17 am

Hey, Mike, just saw this! Congratulations from both of us!!!
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Mon May 15, 2006 9:20 am

Congrats Mike. Most deserved and thanks for being our friend and mentor.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue May 16, 2006 11:03 am

Thanks, Joe, Dave, Tina and all others. We had a bit of a celebration at the Bistro last night and thanks to those who came and especially Cuckmick for the excellent cigar! We finished off a bottle of Wild Turkey 12yo from the early 90's (gold foil label) and drank a toaste. Brenda brought her camera, but the batteries died, so unfortunately there are no photographs of the occassion. If somebody wants to send me another bottle of the old Wild Turkey 12yo I am sure we could re-enact the event for the camera's...

Thanks again, and I am sure we can plan an appropriate party in September to mark the occasion.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby gillmang » Tue May 16, 2006 2:38 pm

You mean the induction has already occurred??

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Mike » Tue May 16, 2006 2:51 pm

JoeBourbon wrote:Congrats Mike. Most deserved and thanks for being our friend and mentor.
Joe

I agree wholeheartedly Mike, you have a rare combination of qualities! A man who is knowledgeable and willing to share his knowledge, a man who has humility, but is willing to express his opinions, a man who has many friends because he is a friend, a man who is admired because he never lets his ego get out ahead of him.

Shucks Mike, I want to be like you when I grow up!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue May 16, 2006 2:56 pm

Gary,
Sorry, I should have been clearer in my post. We were celebrating the nomination and forthcoming induction last night. You know how it is, any excuse to drink bourbon with a bunch of friends! The Induction party will have to wait until September.

Mike,
It ain't so glamorous as it sounds. Ask John about doing research in City Directories.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Mike » Tue May 16, 2006 3:03 pm

bourbonv wrote:
Mike,
It ain't so glamorous as it sounds. Ask John about doing research in City Directories.

Mike Veach

But Mike, you are making my point..............you do what is necessary to get the job done.

Your love of history (and the humans that inhabit it) and depth of knowledge are not achieved easily........but your generousity of spirit is something that seems to come to you naturally!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby gillmang » Wed May 17, 2006 11:02 am

Thanks Mike, and please keep us posted re that induction in September!

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby brendaj » Wed May 17, 2006 1:51 pm

We finished off a bottle of Wild Turkey 12yo from the early 90's (gold foil label) and drank a toaste. Brenda brought her camera, but the batteries died, so unfortunately there are no photographs of the occassion. If somebody wants to send me another bottle of the old Wild Turkey 12yo I am sure we could re-enact the event for the camera's...

And Brenda promises to have batteries fully charged... :P I'm seriously sorry about that, I had been shooting all day at the Jtown Veteran's Park (we're getting a torpedo... 8-) ).

Mike, the 12yr. old Turkey has been one of my favorites since a HH truckdriver gave me a bottle for Christmas years ago. But, I had never tasted the gold label bottling. Thank you so very much. I'll tell ya how bad I feel about the batteries, if anyone takes you up on your re-enactment offer, I'll bring some new 12 year old, and we can [i]revisit the expression in depth... :yawinkle:
Bj
Last edited by brendaj on Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As a Kentuckian, I consider it my civic duty to drink Bourbon, smoke and bet the ponies. Its a tuff job, but someone has to do it...
brendaj

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:16 am

Well, the induction ceremony took place yesterday at Buffalo Trace. It was a very nice ceremony hosted by an excellent distillery. I was inducted along with Bill Friell and Carl Beam (award accepted by David and Baker Beam and some of their children). We were the 39th, 40th, and 41st members into the Kentucky Bourbon Hall of Fame. There were a host of distillers and press people as well as the inductee's and their guest. My guest were my mother, Brenda Piercefield, JD and Kirsten Knaebel and Chuck Mickleright (Chuckmick, BrendaJ and JDKnaebell here). There were many other friends from the distilleries and the press so the event really was very party - like. It was a good time.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby BourbonBalls » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:50 am

Congratulations Mike.....

So well-deserved!
BourbonBalls

Unread postby brendaj » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:26 pm

Yes, it was a much deserved honor. And, he was in some pretty impressive company. As promised...this time my batteries were charged... :lol:

Mike not only deserves accolades for this award, but for how he chose to use his moment in the spotlight. Mike talked about the history of the industry, and the funding necessary to preserve it. He spoke about how important it is for the industry to show financial support for the preservation of Bourbon history by supporting the Getz Museum. The cause is just, and the timing was perfect.

Here's to you, Mike! :cheers:
Attachments
veachhof.jpg
veachhof.jpg (127.92 KiB) Viewed 5898 times
As a Kentuckian, I consider it my civic duty to drink Bourbon, smoke and bet the ponies. Its a tuff job, but someone has to do it...
brendaj

Unread postby brendaj » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:42 pm

Here's Mike accepting his award...
Attachments
mikespeech1.jpg
mikespeech1.jpg (26.43 KiB) Viewed 5892 times
mikespeech2.jpg
mikespeech2.jpg (37.41 KiB) Viewed 5892 times
brendaj

Unread postby brendaj » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:55 pm

Here's a couple of shots from before the Hall of Fame awards...
brendaj

Unread postby brendaj » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:12 pm

I'm really sorry I didn't get a decent shot of Carl Beam's family accepting his award, but you can see them in the group shot.
Attachments
billfriel.jpg
Bill Friel, one of the finest gentlemen in the industry...
billfriel.jpg (37.66 KiB) Viewed 5868 times
groupshot.jpg
Mike Veach, The Beam Family and Bill Friel...
groupshot.jpg (84.21 KiB) Viewed 5868 times
brendaj

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight