Purchasing bourbon

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby bunghole » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:42 pm

We don't get much of anything new in the Virginia ABC stores as Angleshare has already lamented, but when we do I just go ahead and buy a bottle. I've only been disappointed a few times. The worst stinker being Evan Williams Single Barrel vintage 1992 - which I returned to Heaven Hill and recieved a refund. Didn't care for Old Pogue and would not buy a bottle. Thanks to Stoopsie I was saved the price, but I spend as much or more on petrol to get to Stoopsies' bar. Luckily the prices can't be beat and I can tip the bartender/owner in cigars! :wink:

Angleshare has the best selection of any bar in Virginia but it's by invatation only. Prices are the same as Stoopsies' and again cigars make good tips. Bring your own glassware if you're as much a stickler for precision nosing & tasting as I am.

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
bunghole

Unread postby BourbonSteve » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:32 pm

"Bottom line, I like to taste different bourbons and do side by side comparisons of them with friends. That means I usually have somewhere around 40 or so bottles of bourbon on hand and open"

--Mike, we gotta hook up sometime as I'm down the road in marietta!

I guess I'm the gambler in the group. I'll try anything once and ususally go on instinct. For instance, the Old Whisky River by Willie Nelson looked too corny but I tried it for $20 and let's just say I was more than surprised!! If a bottle looks good or I see a nice description say, from a wine mag or tasting, I'll give it a go. More times than not you'll end up happy. since joining the board today I've learned (and had confirmed) some things and certainly the reviews are a help.
"Let lovers whine of the pleasures of wine but give me a bourbon and cup. Not any will do you see it's true, I like it from ole Kentuck."
BourbonSteve

purchasing bourbon

Unread postby bourbonlover » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:46 pm

Mike,

I totally agree with you- I used to buy every bottle I could lay my hands on if it was something I had not tried, but after being burned once or twice, I prefer to sample it before I purchase it. Unless of course it comes from Buffalo Trace.!

Cheers,
Marvin
bourbonlover

Re: purchasing bourbon

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:11 pm

bourbonlover wrote:Mike,

I totally agree with you- I used to buy every bottle I could lay my hands on if it was something I had not tried, but after being burned once or twice, I prefer to sample it before I purchase it. Unless of course it comes from Buffalo Trace.!

Cheers,
Marvin

Marvin :!: You old bourbo-dog :!: It's good to see you here 8-)

:arrow: Linn :cabbage:
bunghole

Unread postby Mark » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:42 pm

Hey Marvin, good to hear from you. :cheers: Hope you and Evelyn are doing well.

I have to agree with ya', sampling before buying is a nice thing... I gotta give LeNell credit for having all these tastings at her shop, it really helps people feel more comfortable with what they are buying, especially when they see folks like Julian, Drew, Jimmy R. etc right at her shop talking about their product.

But really, you hit the nail right on the head Marvin, if it's Buffalo Trace just know you have a winner! 8-)
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby BourbonSteve » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:29 pm

Hell I just buy 'em and drink 'em.
"Let lovers whine of the pleasures of wine but give me a bourbon and cup. Not any will do you see it's true, I like it from ole Kentuck."
BourbonSteve

Previous

Return to Bourbon, Straight