old potrero, anchor

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby aarkwilde » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:31 pm

I just heard back from Anchor about the Hotaling's. It's a limited release, they only produced 30 cases to commemorate the 1906 earthquake centennial.

Damn.
aarkwilde

Unread postby Brewer » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:26 pm

An 11 year old Old Potrero...now that might be interesting. I've previously commented on my dislike of the relatively young Old Potrero products that I've tried at WhiskeyFest. An aged product would be worth trying. I'm actually suprised that this older product is cheaper than what the "young" products cost a couple of years ago. Have their prices started to drop a bit??
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby aarkwilde » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:52 pm

I'm not sure why it was priced the way it was. Given the small batch size I'm suprised it wasn't sold directly to bars the way the Old Potrero was when it was first released.

The Bevmo I picked it up at yesterday had another bottle on the shelf.

My first inclination when I was told how little was made was to hold onto it and resell it later on. But this is such a small release that I doubt anyone will hear of it. I'm planning on opening it and (hopefully) enjoying it.

(edit follows)

I haven't noticed prices on the Old Potrero dropping at all. It seems to be stuck at $60 here in the bay area.
Last edited by aarkwilde on Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aarkwilde

Unread postby Mike » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:54 pm

I have requested that 'my' liquor store get a bottle for me. If it can be got in GA they will do it! I am very curious about this because I even liked the one year old stuff!!

Eleven years in a used barrel.......................hmmm, yep, it has possibilities!!

Now, I need me a bottle of that. Y'all know what I always say about something I want..................'A man ought to have him a (fill in the blank)', in this case the blank is filled with 'a bottle of 11 YO Old Potrero'.

Yeah, that would make me temporarily happy!! Then, there is just gonna be another itch............sigh!!

Ah, well, got to help the economy, it is the American thing to do!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Keith » Thu May 11, 2006 4:40 pm

My big sister brought me a bottle of the Old Potrero Single Malt Straight Rye Whisky (90 proof) when she came to visit me from California. Thanks, big sister!

I find it quite enjoyable and a bit unusual. It has a very spicy nose that is, to me at least, reminiscent of fresh baked rye bread. It's pretty sweet on the palate and goes down smooth neat at 90 proof. The finish is unremarkable.

I salute Anchor for their distilling experiments, and I look forward to trying more of their creations. However, at $65 a bottle it's a little too precious for me to drink. And there are whiskeys I like a whole lot better for less than half that price.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled bourbon.
Keith<p>
Central Kentucky
Keith

Previous

Return to Bourbon, Straight