Review

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Review

Unread postby Gayle Hack » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:29 pm

Has anyone ever reviewd "Old Bourbon Hollow"? I am guessing it's a Jim Beam product.

G. Hack[/b]
Gayle Hack

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:34 pm

Never heard of it.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Gayle Hack » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:37 am

It's four years old and bottled in bond. The label says Clermont, KY[/b]
Gayle Hack

Re: Review

Unread postby kbuzbee » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:06 pm

Gayle Hack wrote:Has anyone ever reviewd "Old Bourbon Hollow"? I am guessing it's a Jim Beam product.

G. Hack[/b]

Never tried it but, you are correct, it is a Jim Beam product. They list it on their web site.

Ken
kbuzbee

Unread postby gillmang » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:11 pm

Ken, or Mike, except for Old Grandad and now this other brand, is any Jim Beam product put out today as a bonded whiskey? (I say this knowing that Grandad might not say it is bonded anymore but there is still stock I have seen on the shelves so marked, plus even if it doesn't say so, it would qualify as a bonded whiskey I believe). I know Knob Creek is technically probably a bonded whiskey, but it does not say so, and also I was thinking of younger whiskey, say in the 4-6 year old range. Are there any other bondeds you can think of in this bracket from Beam?

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:05 pm

Gary,
I am not sure if they are still making the Bonded Beam anymore or not. I will have to check the liquor stores to see if it is on the shelves.
Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby gillmang » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:14 pm

I don't think so Mike, I've never seen it in years of trawling the shops and malls of the land. :)

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:25 pm

Gary,
You may be right. I just talked to my friends at the Bourbon's Bistro and they do not have it and it does not look like they can get it from their distributer - or at least it is not on their present list - so they probably quit making it.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby gillmang » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:13 pm

I'd wager that when Knob Creek was introduced it was dropped. There must have been a premium, 100 proof or bonded Beam (apart from Choice) before the small batch line was brought in.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby kbuzbee » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:18 pm

gillmang wrote:(I say this knowing that Grandad might not say it is bonded anymore but there is still stock I have seen on the shelves so marked, plus even if it doesn't say so, it would qualify as a bonded whiskey I believe). Gary

All the OGD 100 here still says BONDED..... Maybe it's older but...

Other than that, I agree with your general conclusion, they are relying on the Small Batch Collection to carry this torch.

Ken
kbuzbee

Unread postby gillmang » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:44 pm

Well, I'm not sure, it is possible OG is still being produced per se as a bonded whiskey. It's not bad but doesn't have, IMHO, the qualities of the Grandad when made by National Distillers. None of the Beam range really does I think, except Booker's I guess. Beam (just my opinion again) needs to add back to OG and OT the fruity complexity they had in their heyday. Up to a few years ago, OG 86 and Beam Black seemed to retain it but I don't notice it as much in recent samples.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Return to Bourbon, Straight