A vatting that didn't work

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

A vatting that didn't work

Unread postby Mike » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:17 pm

George T. Stagg (spring 2005) comes in at about 135 proof, strong drink in any man's cabinet. The new Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve comes in at 90 proof, right at the borderline, in my opinion, of needing a boost.

I like both of these bourbons and I have been thinking that the Stagg might benefit from a decrease in proof. I tried a bit of water but that seemed to rob it of some of its flavor. I think the new RR is a very good whiskey and pretty near the equal of the 101 RR. I think of it as Tribute junior. But since I still like the RR 101 a whole lot, I says to myself, why not moderate Stagg with RR 90 proof.

Now, the nose on Stagg and RR are not completely dissimiliar. They both have a nice strong rye warmth, complemented by the beautiful caramel, vanilla, and oak from their years in the barrel. Also, both have a rich buttery nose that reveals the corn sweetness.

Alas, my vatting of 70% RR and 30% GTS, shooting for about a 102 proof drink improved on neither. They seem to clash in the glass rather than working together.

Fortunately, I only made 1 drink and so will not waste any bourbon. The experiment has given me more appreciation for these two bourbons and their individual characters. I must have forgotten just how good the Stagg is, even with it potent dose of alcohol.

I will continue to enjoy these two excellent bourbons........seperately.

Thanks friends, I appreciate your indulgence!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby gillmang » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:49 pm

Mike, vatting in the glass saves whiskey if the experiment is made by the full bottle and doesn't work out.

I suspect any other circa 90 proof BT product will work well for what you envisage.

I am sure Elmer T. Lee would be very successful, so probably would Buffalo Trace.

So likely would a well-aged wheater, it would let down that rye intensity a bit. Weller 12 year old would be ideal, or Old Fitz 12 year old (neither super-costly) and many others in the 12-15 year old range.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Return to Bourbon, Straight