Old Taylor bourbon

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Old Taylor bourbon

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:09 pm

I just did a couple of reviews for Old Taylor from bottles I acquired from an estate sale. The older of the two was late 70s and bottled at 86 proof by national. The second bottle was mid 1980's and the whiskey was probably made by National and bottled by Beam at a lower 80 proof. They were very similar but the older, higher proof was clearly better with more flavor. I will get a bottle of the new Old Taylor and review it sometime in the near future. It should make for an interesting comparison.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:24 pm

Mike,
I anxiously await the results.
Joe :)
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby gillmang » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:05 pm

Mike, as usual your taste notes are great. I have the same 80 proof Taylor you described and I agree fully with your comments except perhaps I'd give it a higher rating because that appley nose and taste are hard to find today. True, the 80 is a little watery but I don't mind it like that, it is good for neat sampling. It was a great whiskey and the current Old Taylor (I had some recently) doesn't come close IMO being a little harsh and dull.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:41 pm

Gary,
I am currently writing tasting notes for the Bourbon's Bistro. I started with the top of their menu (A H Hirsch) and I am now getting ready to start the "Ws" with Walker's Deluxe. (Anybody visiting the Bistro can see these notes and add their own. Simply ask the bartender for the book of tasting notes.) I bring this up because it has not been too long ago since I did Old Taylor and i seem to recall it the way you describe. I remember that it is very thin and watery today without much flavor. Not a bad bourbon in that it does not have any offensive tastes, but not very good either. Still, I will pick up a 500ml bottle of the new and do the notes in a bit more controled situation.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby gillmang » Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:14 pm

I feel the current OT is rather unbalanced with obtrusive, not all-that-integrated flavors. To me it has the signature taste of the current younger-Beam line (although 6 years old - I think the label still claims 6 years - is not really young...). Just not my taste at all, but the old ones, with their fruity butterscotch-like taste, very much were.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Return to Bourbon, Straight