Tribute

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Tribute

Unread postby Whiskme » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:41 pm

I made mention of this one before but I was surprised when I visited my "not-so-local" merchant and found two more bottles of WT Tribute on his shelves. Of course, grabbed them plus another Jefferson Reserve, which I like very much as well. I'm wondering if Tribute is as rare as I thought it was. In this single barrel waste land(Fla.), if I can find it that easily maybe it's more common than I'd heard. Or could it be a different release than the much lauded legend I've followed conversation on recently here? A la Staggs many varied releases. This merchant has always carried a solid stock of high grade malted whiskey but it's single barrel bourbon stock was less varied. Some of you that I've talked to know of it's existance in central Fla and I wonder if customer calls could have influenced the selection list and quality of selection of a merchant? I say that because over the past 6/8 months his stock in bourbon has leaped forward and expanded to a very decent array. Can the customer public influence the stock of a merchant by pressuring through calls and first person contact? Even through the mire of distribution rights and laws?Maybe it's easy elsewhere to gets your hands on the quality whisky's available worldwide, but here it's a distribution nightmare for customers. I'd just as soon not pay the added costs incurred by alternate means.
Whiskme

Unread postby White Lightning » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:56 pm

To add to the reasoning above... I think bourbon perceptions are changing. Recently hanging out with a few 'uncle's' one of which used to be more heavily into single malts we were discussing his shift... he mentioned "NOW that they started coming out with premium bourbons, there less lure or reason to stray to single malts".

Keep in mind he is a native Kentucky-man, but outside the Louisville area for years. But it did raise a thought from me that I notice bourbon is starting to attract more... or a much broader audience. To me that's a give and take issue. While it's great the recognition is kicking into high gear, you wonder if quantity/quality might end up in a fist-a-cuffs let alone how much it might cost you in the future to enjoy your usual.
ψ£
White Lightning

Unread postby Mike » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:38 pm

Whiskme,

Congratulations on bagging, not one, but two bottles of Tribute! When you have had a chance to savor it, write a review on it for us.

I have never heard of but one release of Tribute, I think if there had been another it would have been mentioned here on BE by someone.

As to the customer having influence at the liquor store, I have been fortunate in having a customer oriented owner (and his son) who have responded to my requests for bourbon, scotch, beer, and cognac without hesitation...........when they could get it. They were able to get me a bottle of Stagg when it is apparently unavailable in Georgia.

From what they have said, they sometimes have to do battle with the distributor. I believe there are only two or three distributers in the Atlanta area so the competition is not real keen. And, in Georgia, we can't get several bourbons that I want to try (e.g. Buffalo Trace, Eagel Rare 17 YO, Ancient Age 10 YO, most recent release of Stagg, and a few others).

I really am fortunate in having a nearby liquor store where they are so accomodating and friendly..........but, I have spent a small fortune there over the last couple of years, so I guess they consider me a good customer.

My advice is to ask for something if you want it and they don't have it. Many, many liquor stores don't know Jack shit about whiskey aside from the few well known brands. So they may not even know about what you want, no harm in asking.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Return to Bourbon, Straight