Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve 101 vs Russell's Reserve 90

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve 101 vs Russell's Reserve 90

Unread postby Mike » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:04 pm

I wanted to be childish and pan the new RR bourbon because I thought it was just a marketing ploy. However, I now think WT has created another bourbon that, while different, is a good product that stands own its own. I do wish, however, that they had kept the old RR too.

First off, the color of the new RR is not as rich and vibrant as the old. This is reflected in the nose, where the old RR 101 is a bit richer and more robust. The rye spicyness is much more prominent in the old RR, as is the alcohol.

As for the taste, the new RR is definitely more subdued and sweeter, with the corn having definite mastery over the rye. In the old RR, the corn was in a constant struggle with the rye and it was at the finish where the rye, alcohol, and their pepper spicyness won the battle.

I like the new RR a lot. It is better than good, and, on occasions I have wished that in some of the WT products, the rye would fade a bit more into the background. Now, to my taste, it has done so.

Some will most definitely find the new RR less robust and less assertive than the bourbon it replaces. Whether that is good or not good is for the drinker to decide, but as I noted in my review of the new RR, you ain't got long cause the old RR is a goner.

My opinion is that these two wonderful boubons both deserve a place in the Wild Turkey product line............they are that different in my judgement.

Ah.......too bad that is not to be!
Last edited by Mike on Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby MikeK » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:02 am

Mike! You gave me crap the last time I was all fair and sensible like that! :D

But seriously, you are correct, I agree 100%. We often taste a flight that includes WTRR 101 and 90. They are different but both nice in their own ways.

I've been stockpiling all the 101 I can find and shall go toast (with irritation) its memory right now. I insist you all join in as soon as you read this.

Mike K
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Return to Bourbon, Straight