Best store for bourbon/whiskey selection in Chicago?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Best store for bourbon/whiskey selection in Chicago?

Unread postby JAORobot » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:35 am

any recommendations?

looking for a place that would pickup EVERY release.. Sam's seems to do that but everyone knows about them, so they sell out quickly of somethign that might be low distribution; so any places "out of the way" would be fine too!

thanks
JAORobot

Unread postby Mark » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:42 am

Chuck Cowdery could really help here, as well as some others I'm sure. I know Binny's (http://www.binnys.com) is another good one online but they too are big. There's a guy there, think his name is Brett (I hope it isn''t Brent and he reads this!), and he is very good with knowing his bourbon so hell... Try calling there and speak with him, I'm sure he could help ya' out. :)
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Brewer » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:00 am

Mark had it right, his name is Brett Pontini. He does know his whiskey, and if you've got the time, he sure can talk! :roll: Other than Binny's and Sam's, I don't know what's available in Chicago. Chuck's the guy for that info.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby cowdery » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:14 pm

I get asked this all the time. Sam's and Binny's are pretty much all you need to know. They certainly are the only package stores in town that make an effort to offer a wide selection of American whiskeys.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby MikeK » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:15 pm

Well if we tell you about the little out of the way place, then it will sell out quickly too! :D

One way that I find good whiskey shops is the "Specialty Retailers" link off of MaltAdvocate.com http://www.maltadvocate.com/html/sr.html

This magazine is more into Scotch than Bourbon, but if a shop carries a lot of Scotch, it probably carries a lot of Bourbon as well. This list works well in areas that drink a lot of Scotch, but not so useful in KY where there is much more Bourbon than Scotch on the shelves.

Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Return to Bourbon, Straight