Food and Bourbon

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Food and Bourbon

Unread postby Mike » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:42 pm

I just had a fantastic food weekend. Today I had my usual New Year's Day Collard Greens and Black-eyed peas with Cornbread, courtesy of my aunt and my wife (who has my aunt's recipe down now).

And New Year's Eve I had some bourbon with a meal. Always in the past I have had bourbon by itself, so it was a new experience to me.

I was making a leg of lamb that had been deboned and butterflied, then marinated in wine, port, garlic, rosemary, and soy sauce for about 24 hours. For some reason I decided to pull out the bottle of Virginia Gentleman 'The Fox' bourbon and have a sip.

'The Fox' is a very nice bourbon and I could not help but notice the minty aroma. Now, as many will know, mint is a classic accompaniment to lamb.

I grilled the lamb and it turned out to be excellent........best leg of lamb I have ever made.......and the 'The Fox' complemented it nicely.

I won't hesitate to have some bourbon with other foods now. As a matter of a fact, I have that Brunswick Stew I just made. I bet Russell's Reserve (the old one) would go just fine with the stew.

Any other recommendations of bourbon with foods from the illustrious BE group?
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Return to Bourbon, Straight