Bourbon of the Year

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Bourbon of the Year

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:44 pm

There has been quite a bit of activity on the bourbon front this past year. There has been the seasonal releases of several specialty bourbons such as 23 yo Pappy, Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, George T Stagg, etc... There has been the release of some new products such as Woodford Four Grain and William LaRue Weller. And of course there are all of the long time favorites with brands that have been around for ever. What would you say is the product that came out last year that made you glad you around and legal to buy during the year?

For me, I have two choices, but will narrow it down to one... William Larue Weller.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Brewer » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:50 pm

I'd second William Larue Weller. It is a very nice product.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby White Lightning » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:34 pm

It's unbelievably hard for me to pick favorites etc. That said William Larue Weller is an excellent candidate for this title. If I had to pick one thing released with-in the year of 2005, it would have to be the one.
ψ£
White Lightning

Unread postby MikeK » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:00 pm

William Larue Weller would certainly be a finalist for me. I do find it a bit shy though. For me, there isn't much there at first, but after a bit of attention it blossoms nicely. However, I have also been enjoying a recent Weller single barrel selection bottled at 14 years and 100 proof. It is one of the finest bourbons I have ever had and blows the socks off the Larue. It is only available locally and therefore perhaps disqualified.

I give the award to Bernheim Wheat. Besides being quite nice, it is something totally new and different. I for one want to encourage this kind of experimental behavior. Bravo!

Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:52 pm

Bernheim Wheat and Woodford Four Grain are both products I applaud because of the experimental nature of both. I agree that between the two Bernheim was the bigger success, but I am glad I was around to try the Four Grain as well.

The Bernheim was my second choice.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:57 pm

I think I'd have to vote for the new Sazerac 7 y/o Rye. It fills a void vacant for 116 years. It's good to have the "Grand Ole Rye" back on the shelves. Kudos to Buffalo Trace.
Joe :flag: :babynewyear:
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:51 pm

Sazerac rye will not hit the shelves in Kentucky until next year, so I would place it as a leader for next year's choice. I too considered it and if it is already in your area, then it is a good choice for this year.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby White Lightning » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:26 pm

hmmm I took the title at it's word "Bourbon of the year"...

I 've only had time to taste on a couple of occassions but I think this fall's Sazerac Rye 18 is amazingly complex. Not much talk of it {so far} but I'd consider that a whiskey worthy of similar noteriety here... no wonder it won "American Whiskey" of the year again.
ψ£
White Lightning

Unread postby jburlowski » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:28 pm

I'd go with the WL Weller... very tasty stuff. I'd put WR four Grain as the "most overrated" / disappointment of the year.
John B.
jburlowski

Unread postby Joeluka » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:45 pm

Does a bottle of "JoeMOMMA's Small batch, Four Pillars, Black Bear Bourbon from Moonbeam Hill, or Devil's Dew" make the list? If not I'm gonna go with both the William Larue Weller and the Bernheim Wheat . I'm just a sucker for WHEAT :bounce: !!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe
Joeluka

Unread postby kbuzbee » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:01 pm

White Lightning wrote:hmmm I took the title at it's word "Bourbon of the year"...

I 've only had time to taste on a couple of occassions but I think this fall's Sazerac Rye 18 is amazingly complex. Not much talk of it {so far} but I'd consider that a whiskey worthy of similar noteriety here... no wonder it won "American Whiskey" of the year again.

The Saz 18 is great and the Bernheim is good but neither are Bourbons.... The WLW is and is wonderful but I have to give the nod to George. Stagg just always a great pour. It fills the nose and the palate.

Ken
kbuzbee

Unread postby NorCalBoozer » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:44 pm

Well, its tough to be an antique collection release member this year. It's like trying to become the mvp of the NBA playoffs. They are all great, and because of that I think some suffer. I agree about the Saz being an A+, and the Stagg is strong again, and the WRW brings a brand new flavor, but to me, the ER 17 is the one that gets totally lost and it's at worst an A- bourbon.

Lifetime achievment award goes to Russell Reserve 101. This bourbon didn't receive the accolades it was due. It will be missed and surely it will become much sought after in the near future, as so many of the WT's are.

White Lightning wrote:hmmm I took the title at it's word "Bourbon of the year"...

NorCalBoozer

Unread postby angelshare » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:59 pm

[quote="NorCalBoozer"]but to me, the ER 17 is the one that gets totally lost and it's at worst an A- bourbon. [quote="White Lightning"]

We haven't tried the Bernheim wheat, 4 grain, William LaRue Weller or Pappy 23, but ER 17 2005 gets Dave's vote for the best whiskey we've bought this year. Tina seems partial to Stagg fall 2005.
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Return to Bourbon, Straight