Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot B 12 YO

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot B 12 YO

Unread postby Mike » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:50 pm

A few years back I used to keep some of this on hand.........and I have always thought of it as a very good bourbon. But for some reason, I quit stocking it and since I was so sure the ORVW 15 YO was better, I haven't had it for a while.

Along comes Mike Veach, a man who contributes so much to BE and whose opinions in bourbon matters, matter. He proclaims in a review that the 12 YO is his favorite of the Van Winkle products.

Now, that gave me pause! The Pappy 20 YO is universally acclaimed and, although it has been a couple of years since I tried the 23 YO, it too, has people standing on their head about it. And the 15 YO ORVW and the newer Pappy 15 YO are both first class.

What gives, Mr Veach?

I gotta go back and give the old 12 YO a go. So I gets my new Eisch glass, my Reidel glass (I am conparing glassware too) and my fresh bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 YO and takes them to my bourbon drinking quarters (wherever the wife will allow on that day) and gets on with it.

Well, I ain't prepared to say it is the best Van Winkle product, but I am prepared to say that it is more complex and flavorful than the ORVW 15 YO which was my favorite for so long.

I believe this is because I liked bourbons with more sweetness a while back (I was coming from being a Scotch and Cognac drinker) and the ORVW is sweeter that the 12 YO. My tastes have changed a bit and now I look for something that I would call a little deeper.

For $35, the Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot B 12 YO is a bargain in bourbon. As Mr Veach and others have said, this bourbon is highly recommended!!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:10 pm

Mike,
Thanks for the kind words on the review and I am glad that you liked the review. For the record I did say it was "quickly becoming" my favorite Van Winkle product, but the 15 yo is still my overall favorite. That could change though. I had some 15 yo Pappy at the Bourbon's Bistro last night and that bottle was a bit too woody - not as good as past bottles in my opinion. It could have just been that particular bottle though, so I will not write off the 15 yo Pappy yet.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Mike » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:23 pm

Mike,

I stand corrected.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby OneCubeOnly » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:33 pm

It's weird--the 12yo Lot "B" has never really done it for me. I love every other Van Winkle product I've tasted, but was disappointed with the Lot "B". Most likely this is due to it being such a departure from its siblings. What I really was expecting was a younger, more lively Pappy. Luckily the new 15yo has filled that void!
OneCubeOnly

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:50 pm

I also like the 12 y/o, but not as much as the older stuff from ORVW or Pappy.
Joe :babynewyear:
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby White Lightning » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:35 pm

bourbonv wrote:Mike,
I had some 15 yo Pappy at the Bourbon's Bistro last night and that bottle was a bit too woody - not as good as past bottles in my opinion. It could have just been that particular bottle though, so I will not write off the 15 yo Pappy yet.

Mike Veach
I'd bet it was at least a batch as opposed to just one bottle. Last spring my first taste of a distillery bottle of the Pappy 15 (opened and poured by Preston) was as I believe you are describing "woody"... the other noticable factor was it was DRIER than any Van Winkle whiskey I was accustomed to. "Oaked" was how I labeled it.
ψ£
White Lightning

Unread postby White Lightning » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:44 pm

OneCubeOnly wrote:It's weird--the 12yo Lot "B" has never really done it for me. I love every other Van Winkle product I've tasted, but was disappointed with the Lot "B". Most likely this is due to it being such a departure from its siblings.
My experience as well. I was blessed with a barrel purchase bottle from a gracious enthusiast - that was by far the best VWSR12 Lot B I've ever had.

The product has always been good against the regular playing field - imho - but I've found it rather straight forward when compared to the ORVW15 and Pappy 20. I often wondered about the abv of the ORVW15 possibly playing a significant role in my preferred taste.
ψ£
White Lightning

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:49 pm

I know Julian has been short of 15 yo whiskey for the product in the past couple of years. I do hope that this woodiness is a passing thing or I am afraid that it will decline in my preferences.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Bourbon, Straight