Ridgemont Reserve 1792 ?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Ridgemont Reserve 1792 ?

Unread postby T47 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:20 am

Though still too new at this to offer complex notes, I feel I have been truly blessed with the Bourbons I have sampled so far…until this…
I have read some reviews, and people seem to enjoy it for the most part. I seem to experience a “bitter” flavor, which becomes more pronounced during the finish? Bad bottle? Unique flavor that I must adjust too? I tested my taste buds on a drink of Pappy Van Winkle 15, which I very much enjoyed.
T47

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:46 am

Everybody's taste buds are different and if you taste "bitter" then it is there for you in this bottle. Now it could be that someone else may not taste the same bitter finish as you do so you should probably get someone else with a sense of taste similar to yours to try it as well. If the bitterness is there for them you could have a problem bottle.

I have not bought a bottle of this for about a year and it is possible the flavor profile has changed slightly. You could try a taste from a different bottle to see if the same taste is found there as well. If you have a bar with a good supply of bourbons, that would be the best place to try the comparison rather than having to get a second bottle.

If the taste is different in the second bottle then you could simply have a bad bottle. Several things can lead to bad bottles such as cork taint or the failure to clean the lines out well at the bottling line causing some other product tainting the first few bottles of the run. It does not happen often but it can happen. If it is a bad bottle contact the distillery.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:54 pm

I have never encountered a "bitter" component in 1792 and I have had many bottles. Strange.
Joe :flag:
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Return to Bourbon, Straight