Woodford Reserve - was it better before no. 90?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby MikeK » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:28 pm

Since we are on the topic, do the batch numbers on "Lincoln Henderson" 750ml and 375ml bottles match up? If you find a 375ml batch <90, is that also the pre-potstill recipe or did they number the smaller bottles differently?

Kyjames wrote:BTW, MikeK
I enjoyed your webpage of the WR Bourbon Academy. I'm the person in the Hawaiin shirt. :D

Thanks! Are you the black or blue Hawaiian shirt?

Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby Kyjames » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:02 pm

Blue Hawaiin Shirt
Sorry, I should have paid closer attention to the photo.
Kyjames

Woodford

Unread postby conecuhridge » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:08 pm

Perhaps you should drop a note to Chris Morris. He is a great guy, is very talented, and learned from the best (my Dad).

I am sitting here looking at an unopened bottle of Batch 1, #1881 and drooling! Let's see...8 bottles of VIP Batch #4, Breeders Cups, Derby Editions, President's Choice...its a shame that I won't likely ever open any of them.

Wes Henderson
conecuhridge

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:24 am

Wes,
Open up and enjoy. After you finish one of those Derby Bottles, you will still have a Derby bottle for your collection, plus some memories of some excellent whiskey. It is a win/win situation.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby conecuhridge » Mon May 01, 2006 3:56 pm

Mike,

As the Derby is right around the corner, I think I will take your advice. Dad is in town for a visit this week. While he is keeping busy in retirement, I think he misses the daily involvement with Woodford, even though he is still doing some consulting work. Even though Chris Morris is a great guy, and excellent Master Distiller, seeing Dad's signature off of the new bottles tore at me a bit.

Take Care,

Wes Henderson
conecuhridge

Unread postby gillmang » Tue May 02, 2006 9:45 am

Just on the topic of WR batches, I finally bought a bottle of no. 141 in Ontario. We are "behind" here since I know the regular series (regular fifth bottle size) is beyond that now in parts of the U.S. (maybe over no. 200). I thought it was really good. The full flavor of the pot still element comes through but is balanced by the vatting they do which incorporates some Louisville whiskey. I find the whiskey gets better as it sits in the bottle, it seems to deepen and soften. I wonder what such whiskeys (around 5-6 years old I understand) would taste like if transferred to new charred wood for a time, i.e., after vatting. It might deepen and integrate the flavors more.

Current batches I've tried are good efforts and proof that pot stilling if properly handled (i.e., vatted with column still whiskey) can produce well-flavored whiskeys. I am not sure if 100% pot stilling for bourbon would work, I think it would but a careful balancing of factors (especially age and the precise stilling method) would need to occur otherwise I think the spirit may be too heavy for modern tastes.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue May 02, 2006 11:01 am

Wes,
Chris is indeed a great guy, but so is Lincoln. I can see where it would sting a little to see his name removed from the bottle. At least it was under better circumstances than Dave Backus at Dickel. Share the bottle with him on Derby and tell him I said "Hello".

Gary,
I think the Woodford Reserve is getting better as they learn more about using those stills. I find the aged whiskey we taste from the warehouses during the bourbon academy to be a little more fruity sweet with each year. Married with column still made whiskey makes for a nice balance.

It should be noted that the column still product is not simply Old Forester anymore. They have adjusted the formula to use a mutated version of the original yeast for both distillations of Woodford Reserve.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby gillmang » Tue May 02, 2006 12:11 pm

Thanks Mike. But would any of that new yeast whiskey be available for vatting? Wouldn't the change have to have occurred at least 5-6 years ago for the new whiskey to be available?

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue May 02, 2006 12:35 pm

Gary,
From what I gather the yeast mutated about 3 years ago. They started making the column still product for Woodford with that yeast about a year and a half ago. No there is no whiskey being vatted yet with the new yeast strain, but it will happen. I suspect yet another taste profile change, but not a drastic one.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby gillmang » Tue May 02, 2006 4:04 pm

Thanks, I know a lot of people (I believe e.g., Four Roses) believe that different yeasts affect the final product differently, and I am sure that is true. A fruity estery ferment should (at least in theory) impart the same flavors to the spirit if esters vaporise at the same or a lower temperature than ethanol. I believe that is in fact the case.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Previous

Return to Bourbon, Straight