I think I'm becoming a hoarder.

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

I think I'm becoming a hoarder.

Unread postby ScurvyDog » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:55 pm

I just looked and I have 12 bottles, mostly past years of EWSBV, ORVW and some other not too expensive but hard to find stuff that I don't want to open. Mental illness or not?
ScurvyDog

Re: I think I'm becoming a hoarder.

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:10 pm

mental illness, nah....

Ive never been a hoarder, but this 'hobby' tends to make one of you. Seems as soon as you discover what you like, you find it has been discontinued, allocated, changed, dropped, rationed, etc. Makes one want to just go get a few cases of every one of their favorites. I have stockpiles of Dickel 9 (suspect it is a limited release and wont be around once current shelf stock is gone), KCSB (got a case at a half-price clearance), and a case of HHBIB 6 year (half-way expect this will be changed or dropped in the not-too-distant future).......and I still dont feel I have enough, particularly of the Dickel 9 year. Which is kinda odd, when I think about it, because at my rate of consumption, this small stockpile would last me several years even if I completely stopped buying everything right now. Yet, I still want to grab every damned Dickel 9 I see, and I find myself checking the stock of HH BIB 6 year every time I am in the store (every store).

whiskey nervosa?
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Thig » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:06 pm

ScurvyDog wrote:I just looked and I have 12 bottles, mostly past years of EWSBV, ORVW and some other not too expensive but hard to find stuff that I don't want to open. Mental illness or not?

I don't think you are a hoarder yet, at least I hope not. I am new here also and I am up to 22 bottles with only 1 open.
Thig

Unread postby HOF44 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:57 pm

I'm have a bourbon problem. I have 52 bottles right now, most still sealed.
HOF44

Unread postby thomas15 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:31 pm

Thig wrote:
ScurvyDog wrote:I just looked and I have 12 bottles, mostly past years of EWSBV, ORVW and some other not too expensive but hard to find stuff that I don't want to open. Mental illness or not?

I don't think you are a hoarder yet, at least I hope not. I am new here also and I am up to 22 bottles with only 1 open.

I have about 30 bottles whiskey with only 2 opened at this time. When I'm trying to decide on opening a new bottle, I get this urge to purchase another one first. For some strange reason I like to have un-opened bottles of as many examples of mainly bourbon but other whiskies also on hand.

I seem to enjoy purchasing and collecting whiskey. If I have a half case of beer on hand I don't feel like I need to rush out and resupply. And my stocks of other spirits are not that big. I have maybe 15 bottles of wine and 3 or 4 bottles of Rum, 1 bottle of vodka, 2 or 3 bottles of Congnac, and 1 each Brandy and Gin.

I have to say, as a relative newb to serious bourbon drinking, while some bottles bring more pleasure than others, none to date have been undrinkable. I will say though that Canadian made Canadian Mist is my least favorite whiskey. Granted it's not a bourbon and it's not marketed as a fine sipping whiskey. It is hard, but not impossible to drink neat.

On the other hand, a bottle of Bookers followed me home not too long ago. I'm not sure when I will tackle that one.
Whiskey for Breakfast (in the key of Glock).
thomas15

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:38 pm

thomas15 wrote:
Thig wrote:

a bottle of Bookers followed me home not too long ago. I'm not sure when I will tackle that one.

open it up, Booker's is great stuff!
393foureyedfox

Unread postby thomas15 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:44 pm

HOF44 wrote:I'm have a bourbon problem. I have 52 bottles right now, most still sealed.

One for every week of the year. How convenient!
thomas15

Unread postby jaycamm » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:07 am

No matter how bad you are, there is someone else who has it worse. On a cursory glance I have approximately 45 open bottles and at least that many unopened.
one whiskey for every ghost
jaycamm

Unread postby crappie_fisherman » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:57 pm

I have a problem...as soon as I get my bottle home I crack it open to get a taste!!!...

the only bottles not opened are doubles of what I'm currently drinking (rare eagle 10 and Four Roses 125th) and a PVW 20 that I'm not sure about just yet as to when I'll open it...it may hang around to one of my daughters weddings as will the other unopened 125th Anniversary bottle...

I also use every fishing pole I buy, every shoe I purchase and wear all the clothes I buy...enjoy them now I say...!
crappie_fisherman

Unread postby HOF44 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:00 am

My hoarding continues!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (96.11 KiB) Viewed 8314 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (126.27 KiB) Viewed 8314 times
HOF44

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:00 am

dang, somebody likes stagg!
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Birdo » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:00 am

Currently have 4 bottles of bourbon and 2 of rum. The Rare Breed is the good stuff in my cabinet.
Birdo

Unread postby SeattleMasher » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:28 pm

I too am of the opinion that I've bought it to enjoy it. Sure I have a couple of bottles that are waiting for a special occasion, like maybe a Super Bowl win this weekend. After reading on here that concerns of oxidation really don't apply unless the bottle starts getting past the half way point (please correct me if I'm wrong), I feel it provides me the opportunity to crack something new open and give it try so at least I will know how well I like it.

I'm looking at roughly 20 bourbons and ryes in various stages of consumption.
SeattleMasher

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:02 pm

SeattleMasher wrote: After reading on here that concerns of oxidation really don't apply unless the bottle starts getting past the half way point ......

this is a great reason to by some 375's of something new to you, try them, and then keep the empty bottles around for pouring your half-empty favorites into. 375's and 200's are great things to keep around
393foureyedfox

Unread postby thomas15 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:54 pm

393foureyedfox wrote:
SeattleMasher wrote: After reading on here that concerns of oxidation really don't apply unless the bottle starts getting past the half way point ......

this is a great reason to by some 375's of something new to you, try them, and then keep the empty bottles around for pouring your half-empty favorites into. 375's and 200's are great things to keep around

I''m thinking in terms of saving empty 750 mL bottles to store half empty 1.7 mL bottles
thomas15

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight