A Bourbon to Represent America

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

A Bourbon to Represent America

Unread postby maxgebhardt » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:35 pm

Hello All,

I was always a scotch man, maybe a result of a half-Scottish father and growing up in the NYC area, so I am new to bourbon. I finally had my first decent bourbon not too long ago while visiting friends near the North Carolina/Tennessee Border and was pleasantly suprised. I also happen to be a Foreign Service Officer in the Department of State currently posted to a European embassy and would like to find a nice bourbon to stock for representational events at my home and as gifts so that I can serve guests something truly American, especially since our usual embassy provided end of year gratuity is Johnie Walker Black, so it would be nice to actually have a gift from America... If you had your choice of one bourbon to represent America, what would it be?

Looking forward to some suggestions!
maxgebhardt

Re: A Bourbon to Represent America

Unread postby gillmang » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:22 pm

I would go with Evan Williams Black Label. First, it is very good. Second, it is not expensive and from a watching-the-budget stance, works well. Third, the family that owns it is American, it is not an internationally-owned business. Eg. as mentioned elsewhere today in the forum, it looks likely that Jim Beam will be sold to a Japanese company. Wild Turkey is owned by Campari of Italy. Old Forester is also a possibility, from U.S.-owned Brown-Forman. If you do that one, make sure it is 100 proof though, the full name of this iteration is Old Forester Signature.

Evan Williams Black Label is a more moderate 86 proof and factoring all with all, is a better choice though (IMO).

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:09 pm

Id go with something from Heaven Hill as well, for the same reasons.......US family owned and one of the broadest selections of bourbons of any company in the world. Anyone can find something they like from them.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:17 am

All bourbon represents America.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:31 am

Bourbon Joe wrote:All bourbon represents America.
Joe

unless you see who really owns the company. you'd be surprised.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:50 am

393foureyedfox wrote:
Joe

No matter who owns the company, bourbon is officially designated 100% american spirit.
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Thig » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:49 am

Bourbon Joe wrote:
393foureyedfox wrote:
Joe

No matter who owns the company, bourbon is officially designated 100% american spirit.

Right, no matter who owns the company it has to be made in the USA. Unlike most other products. You would be surprised how much of Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge autos are from parts made outside the USA.
Thig

Unread postby mhatzung » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:48 pm

Max,
When we had a visitor from Mexico at work, I gave him a bottle of Elijah Craig to represent our American liquor. I would think a spicier bourbon could be off putting to someone not used to bourbon, but the oak in the Craig would be interesting to a scotch drinker, I would think.
mhatzung

Unread postby RandyG » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:08 pm

A variation on Gary's theme would be to keep both the black and white label Evan Williams on hand. Let your guests try both and see which they prefer. I tend to lean towards higher proof spirits and prefer the white label. I doubt it would be more than a dollar or two a bottle more than the black.

Justa thought :D
RandyG

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:34 pm

I prefer the white too, but I think the casual drinker would prefer the 86 proof black label. both would be a good idea if possible
393foureyedfox

Unread postby jaycamm » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:24 am

An 8 year old BiB from HH.
one whiskey for every ghost
jaycamm

Unread postby crappie_fisherman » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:49 pm

There are LOTS of choices from all the big distillers.

Makers Mark is always a good choice and easy drinker since it is a wheater.

Any of the other big 6 have fine choices...I like them all...Four Roses Single Barrel but it is a 35% rye so could be spicer than most would like...their Small Batch is another great choice and fairly inexpensive too. Woodford Reserve IMO is a great choice...slightly sweeter and not a hard finish. Wild Turkey 101...who hasn't heard of that?!?!?. Jim Beam White Label is a great choice or step up to something different in the Beam line up like Old Grand Dad or Basil Hayden. Not many have heard of Town Branch but their bourbon is good albeit a tad young at the ~5 year barrel age life...but still a good sipper. I've never been a big HH drinker...their mashbills have never tickled my taste buds in a way that makes me purchase their stuff...but that's just me I'm sure...

Then you can always go with the Jack Daniels black or single barrel or gentleman's jack...all good choices too...even though they dub themselves as "Tennessee Whisky" and not "Bourbon"...but are technically a "Bourbon"...even with the charcoal filtering I believe...

Lots of choices from the "Big 7"...plus lots of other US distillers of bourbons...but maybe not as recognizable...

But if you are trying to relate to "America"...most would recognize Makers, Beam, Wild Turkey, Four Roses or Woodford..."heaven hill"...just doesn't stand out as US distiller being "recognizable"...Evan WIlliams does for sure...

You didn't say what your budget was...that may help narrow things down too...

Good luck
Last edited by crappie_fisherman on Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crappie_fisherman

Unread postby sggladden » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:39 pm

I'd recommend Blanton's. It makes a great impression from the design of the bottle to the interesting but not overly challenging flavor. It's top shelf with out being hard to acquire or overly expensive. Generally speaking Blanton's is the bourbon that my non bourbon drinking friends seem to be able to get the difference in quality while still being able to enjoy the experience.

Makers Mark would be a cheaper alternative but if I were to concern myself with cost I'd probably go with W.L. Weller as a substitute. Now if I wanted to round out the field I'd add a bottle of Jack and Wild Turkey 101... Maybe a maybe a Beam product- I haven't tried any so I'm not sure.

Now if I really wanted to prove the point on how good bourbon can be, I'd go with a bottle of George T. Stag or based on what I've heard, Pappy Van Winkle- assuming it's existence isn't just a myth.
sggladden

Unread postby Squire » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:08 pm

Evan Williams Black Label would be my choice as well for the reasons already mentioned. I expect they already have access to Jack Daniels.
Squire

Unread postby TRHEELFN » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:12 pm

I would second the Blanton's recommendation. I am pretty new to bourbon but this so far has been one of my favorites. It is a great higher end bourbon with a beautiful bottle and probably a taste most would enjoy. If it is too pricey (runs me around $55 in NC) for you to give as gifts it certainly would fit the bill perfectly IMO for your request of "a nice bourbon to stock for representational events at my home"
TRHEELFN

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight