A Bourbon to Represent America

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: A Bourbon to Represent America

Unread postby JLH3 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:41 pm

I like the EW line of thought, but I would step up to their Single Barrel. I haven't tried the 2004 yet, but the 2003 is a very good (maybe very, very), reasonably-priced bourbon.
Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.
- Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses

"Your hair was darker then."
- Grant
"My heart was lighter then."
- Rico
The Professionals
JLH3

Unread postby coffeecupman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:52 pm

So far, with what I know, I'd say that you want something that is good, and yet also good value, and something that will still be around and be good value again, year over year.

The Blanton's is a wonderful suggestion but might be higher priced than you're looking for if you're going to buy them by the case for giveaways. That bottle design would be hard to beat.

At present I'd say Elijah Craig 12. It's exceptional value, tastes very good, and its supply is not threatened by the whirlwind of rising demand in the industry. Heaven Hill has the capacity to keep producing it just fine.

My current fave price/performance bourbon is the Russell's Reserve 10yr small batch (I haven't yet tried the "Small batch single barrel" (lol)). But that's a small batch - who knows what will be offered next year?

The Weller 12 might have been a good choice but it is a little rougher on the palate than the above 2, plus it's been under some heavy buying pressure from people trying to sample the Pappy mash bill at a lower price. I had a hard time finding it recently on a casual bourbon mission through Bardstown, Frankfort, and Versailles.

ccm
coffeecupman

Unread postby ebo » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:46 am

I'm surprised (or not) there has been no mention of Jim Beam. Beam is probably the biggest, most prolific distiller in the USA. I know there is a lot of "Beam hate" out there but, it is what it is. On another note, doesn't all Bourbon represent America? Bourbon is uniquely American and can only be produced in America (USA).
ebo

Unread postby Squire » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:12 pm

I agree, Bourbon is identified with and represents the US around the World.
Squire

Unread postby Duewester » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:38 am

Blantons. Get a bottle and you'll understand.
Duewester

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:41 pm

Duewester wrote:Blantons. Get a bottle and you'll understand.

really?

I have, and I don't
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Eggman » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:29 am

Howdy,

Budget Bourbon: Evan Williams 1783 (Priced about the same as Evan Williams black label)
Mid-shelf price: Old Forester Signature. My personal favorite :)
Eggman

Unread postby Cpfoutz » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:19 pm

I'd go with a Buffalo Trace product. Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Blantons, Stagg...find your pricepoint of choice. I think it's more recognizable, easy on the palatte (except Stagg) and an American company.
Cpfoutz

Unread postby Birdo » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:44 am

Bit of an old thread, but here's what I think: Wild Turkey 101 represents America best. This is because its internationally known and has been in American films and TV for a long time. I worked with a bunch of guys from Italy and the rest of Europe, and they know about WT as well as Jack Daniels.

WT101 captures the wild frontier spirit of America, and its great mid shelf bourbon. High proof, traditional rye mash bill and a suitable amount of time in the barrels makes this stuff great.
Birdo

Previous

Return to Bourbon, Straight