My 2013 end of the year statement

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

My 2013 end of the year statement

Unread postby thomas15 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:04 pm

I started out 2013 as a bourbon and coke guy. On June 30th, I drove down to Gettysburg for the 150 anniversery of the battle. My luggage consisted of a flask of Beam White and a 750 Buffalo Trace. Also a few Macanudo Cafe cigars. I was supposed to meet a long time friend and spend a few days roaming the battlefield. My friend never showed up but I enjoyed the BT and cigars so much that I decided to search out a favorite bourbon to drinking neat and favorite cigar to go with it.

So I begin 2014 with an opinion on this matter, My bourbon of choice is Four Roses Single Barrel and my cigar is a Rocky Patel Decade Robusto. I find that the two go together well and are an enjoyable experience. I would like to know what other Bourbon and cigar combos others here find most rewarding. Happy New Years!
Whiskey for Breakfast (in the key of Glock).
thomas15

Re: My 2013 end of the year statement

Unread postby Squire » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:50 pm

Can't really say as I smoke a pipe but your logic is flawless.
Squire

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:26 am

I've been drinking bourbon and pairing cigars for many many years. I have had most of the bourbon out there and smoked most of the medium priced cigars. Now that I'm an old man, I tend to pair high end bourbons with high end cigars. I couldn't afford to do this when I was working but I can now. I love it.
Joe
Examples:
Tatuaje and Hirsch 16
Fuente Anejo and Pappy 20
Illusione and Willett 1434 Wheater
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby crappie_fisherman » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:15 am

I've come to the realization a long time ago that I drink too much bourbon and smoke too many damn cigars...LOL

I used to smoke longer smokes but switched to Macanudo Ascots then I came upon Mike's Cigars that sells these as seconds from the Mac factory many years ago out of Miami...I used to be able to buy 100 of them for $30...they since doubled the price to 50 of them for $30 but still a great deal and a great little smoke for not much money. If I want a longer smoke...I can smoke 2 of them...great aroma, great flavor...what makes them seconds (sold under the Old Fashioned Chicos label) is that some of the wrappers may not be up to Macs standards or you may get an occasional tight one...but the quality and smoothness of the tobacco is a Mac Ascot that you would pay many times the price for if it had the Mac band around it! Mikes sells two versions of the Old Fashoined Chico's...one is a Partagas second and the other the Mac Ascot...you can distinguish the Mac by the Connecticut wrapper and the Mike's part/identification number ends in an "M"...something like OFCM or the like...the Partagas ends in "P" something like OFCP or the like...I've come to love this little 4 3/16" x 32 ring smoke!!!

And when I'm not smoking these...I'll fire up the Hookah with some sweeter tobacco like melon or double apple or the like...you should see the looks we get in campgrounds when I have my 40' diesel pusher motor coach parked on the site and a double hosed beautiful Hookah pipe next to the campfire...LOL...

As far as bourbon to pair either of these with...well it all depends on my mood...I'm a big Woodford Reserve drinker...I like the slightly sweeter/caramelly notes...but I've also become a Willett Reserve fan and if I had more of it and could find more of it my all time favorite is the Four Roses 125th Anniversary bottle...but since that is a limited one time bottling...I have to savor that...LOL...

The last time we camped this fall...I had the hookah going and we were enjoying Town Branch, Willett Reserve and Woodford Reserve...we put a pretty good hurting on those three bottles between myself and 3 other buddies...

Tonight...well since it will be snowing and blowing...we'll be enjoying the bourbon but no hookah or cigars as we ring in the New Year with about 50 folks at our house for our 15th annual gathering...I'll have some moonshine that I flavored up (apple pie, red hot cinnamon and peppermint) as well as lots of other liquor and I'll also have a separate table set up with bourbons on it for anyone to sample (save the coke/ginger...but that is a different topic...LOL)

Cheers and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
crappie_fisherman

Return to Bourbon, Straight