bottle recommendation?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

bottle recommendation?

Unread postby Agalloch » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:55 pm

I'm somewhat new to bourbon tasting. I've been intro craft beer for a while but I thought it would be interesting to try some different bourbon's because whisky has always tickled my fancy. Now, I've tried a few: Jim Beam Black, Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve and Old Forrester and I've found I really enjoy old Forrester. I'm not the greatest at picking up on scents and tastes of the bourbons but I like how thick and bold the Forrester tastes. Woodford is tasty aswell and seems to have a little more complexity and I like that but I think the Beam black is just to thin and straightforward. The knob creek isn't bad but doesn't taste dark or bold enough for me. I'm looking to pick up a new bourbon to try for the new year, I'm think something with a thick mouth feel, some vanilla notes and a little complexity is what I'm looking for. If you've got any recommendations post away.
Agalloch

Re: bottle recommendation?

Unread postby myackanich » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:47 pm

I suggest you try Wild Turkey 101 or Four Roses.
myackanich

Unread postby RandyG » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:54 pm

Rare Breed :mrgreen:
RandyG

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:15 am

from your post, I suggest getting a Knob Creek 120 proof Single Barrel Reserve.

about $35-40 and much more depth, flavor, and proof than the 100 proofer, without being all alcohol heat. Its one of my top ones!
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Bob Barker » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:08 am

Hmm forester and woodford reserve pretty much a man that had similar tastes to myself. I would try old weller special reserve 90 or the old weller antique if u can get ur hands on some I think u would really like either one of them. They are wheaters but I think u will like them. If ur budget allows it the aforementioned rare breed is a stellar choice .
Bob Barker

Unread postby Agalloch » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:08 pm

After some thought I went with a bottle of Elijiah Craig 12 year for $23, and I am very impressed! I've read about some inconsistency some people have been getting but my bottle tastes excellent. It packs a nice bold taste with less heat than Forrester and keeps me coming back for more. I appreciate the posts, my local store ( up in New Hampshire where liquor is cheaper ) doesn't seem to have any Welller of any kind but I will have to go searching.
Agalloch

Unread postby crappie_fisherman » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:26 am

I know you have made your choice...but if you are looking for a BOLD bourbon next time with some vanilla's and the like...try Woodford DOUBLE OAKED...it has an incredible flavor profile and one of if not the longest finishes I have ever tasted...this bourbon finishes in the MINUTES...like 3, 4, 5...keeps going and going...INCREDIBLE...

Another BOLD bourbon is the Breckenridge...this is a 35% rye mashbill and gives you a very nice upfront flavor but the high rye give you a nice spice.

Yet another bold choice is Blanton's...the bottle itself is extremely unique with the horse stoppers...I'm told there is a "series" of horse leg positions and if you look at them the horse appears to be galloping...but the bourbon is exceptional...I found mine at the $44 at our local Meijer grocery store...

Lastly for BOLD...I'd highly recommend Bookers...it is a very high proof one though at ~135 proof...so you'll definitely get the burn from the high proof but the flavors are incredible and I am always surprised just how smooth this stuff is.

I'm a HUGE Four Roses fan...you will never go wrong with the Four Roses Single Barrel offering...another high rye mashbill at 35%...so you get that BOLD long finish...and incredible flavors...

Not to argue in any way...but my palate and wheaters just don't make the BOLD connection...wheaters in general are more subdued on the palate for me...good but different than bold IMO...I like Makers Mark, WL Weller 12 yr...both wheaters...but I wouldn't call either bold...smooth yes...very smooth...and good but "different"...my palate tends to gravitate to the rye mashbills though...

Cheers and Happy New Year!
Joe.
crappie_fisherman

Unread postby Grawlix » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:49 pm

Wild Turkey Rare Breed.

You won't regret it.
Grawlix

Unread postby Bob Barker » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:58 pm

Side note...just got a fresh bottle of rare breed and wow it's just as delicious as it always has been :)
Bob Barker

Re: 4Roses bottle recommendation from Binny's?

Unread postby vanguero » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:14 pm

Anyone here currently sipping on any of the 4Roses private selection SB cask strengths from Binny's? What recipe is to your liking? provecho
vanguero

Unread postby Agalloch » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:36 pm

Today I went to a new shop that opened up the next town over to check it out. The first thing I noticed was the prices higher than I would like to see on a few bottles but I did find Wheller Special Reserve and Wheller Antique 107. I went with the Special Reserve for 20 bucks and I think it's a good bourbon. It has very similar flavor to the old forester but the flavor being much more subtle at first and slowly creeps up with a nice finish. I think its a good addition and it was interesting to try my first wheater. I plan on working my way thru the lower $20 bourbons before going up to the bigger price-tag stuff, after all I came to bourbon as a slightly cheaper alternative to craft beer and I've been really loving it.
Agalloch

Unread postby Squire » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:29 pm

Old Grand Dad 114 should be on your list.
Squire

Unread postby Agalloch » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:22 pm

Squire wrote:Old Grand Dad 114 should be on your list.

Well I'll be shopping for a new bottle in the coming week, I was thinking of going for the OGD BiB or Buffalo Trace. It sound's like Buffalo Trace is what I like but OGD is cheap and I like the sound of the high rye content (an the fact that its a true classic). I haven't seen the 114 anywhere but I'll keep an eye out.
Agalloch

Unread postby JLH3 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:50 am

Grawlix wrote:Wild Turkey Rare Breed.

You won't regret it.

Yep. Add Baker's, 4 Roses Small Batch, Weller Antique and Evan Williams 2003 and you'll have a great start. (And finish)
Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.
- Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses

"Your hair was darker then."
- Grant
"My heart was lighter then."
- Rico
The Professionals
JLH3

Return to Bourbon, Straight