Cloudy Bourbon?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Cloudy Bourbon?

Unread postby foxsterlingworth » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:27 pm

First of all, hello! This is my first post here, but I admit to lurking on this site for quite awhile now. I have a bit of a question for you folks (especially the dusty collectors/drinkers crowd). I recently scored a 1988 bottling of ND Old Taylor 86 proof off the shelves locally. I noticed this bottle had about a mid-shoulder fill level, and that may be a bit heavy, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to try it. When I got it home I noticed the color was a bit cloudy (and it may have been cloudy while it was still on the shelf, just cannot remember). It was quite cold (which I've heard of causing cloudiness as well) outside the day I purchased it and it sat in the car a good while. No sediment present though, and I even let it sit a few days after getting it home and still seems to have a "cloudy" look about it. While I didn't take notice to this at the store, it bothers me now and not sure if it's a safe thing to drink now. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
foxsterlingworth

Re: Cloudy Bourbon?

Unread postby jneyer05 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:43 pm

Most times the cloudiness can be caused by non filtering techniques. In this case where it is over 20 years old I am not sure if there are other factors. I also dont know much about Old Taylor.
jneyer05

Unread postby Squire » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:07 pm

First of all, welcome aboard. Over the years I've had a fair amount of ND Taylor and I see a couple of problems with your bottle. The fill level is too low which means the seal has been compromised, perhaps some years ago, and the cloudiness didn't settle after the bottle was allowed to sit for a few days. Ambient bacteria, yeast, who knows what could've gotten in there over time. I wouldn't drink it, would in fact take it back for credit.

There is enough ND Taylor still around for you to have another chance.
Squire

Unread postby RandyG » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:20 am

I'm not sure if this applies but on occasion, I have left a small amount of whiskey in a glass while playing pool and forgot about it. I notice the glass a couple of days later and what remains is very cloudy. Your bottle may be exhibiting the same evaporation characteristics. Given it's age, I would take Squire's advice.

RG
RandyG

Unread postby foxsterlingworth » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:02 pm

Thank you all! I feared that would be the case, Squire. Oh well, there's other bottles out there...
foxsterlingworth

Unread postby Squire » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:36 am

That there are Fox, particularly ND Old Grand Dad. Just noticed your handle, I favor the 16 gauge.
Squire

Return to Bourbon, Straight