One for the money! Two for the show! Go FR go!

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

One for the money! Two for the show! Go FR go!

Unread postby Mike » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:25 pm

Last time I purchased a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel it was just under $30 a bottle before taxes. For the money, this one tops them all in my opinion. I have heard, or read, or made it up my own self, that a very important component in Four Roses' taste is the yeast. To my palate it has a deep and different sweetness that goes so well with its high rye finish, which I find reminiscent of cinnamon red hots. A very cleansing taste that leaves the mouth tingling and refreshed. It is powerful good stuff and every bit the equal of any bourbon on the face of this planet in my estimation. I tried it against some Wild Turkey Rare Breed and some Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond (an essential bourbon). All are high rye recipes and are similar in that respect, and are similar in the level of sweetness.......but all are different too.

The Four Roses has a slight tinge of yeast in the taste (that is what I'm gone call that unique taste)
The Rare Breed has a bit more oak in its taste
The Old Grand Dad has more corn in its taste

On this occasion, I prefer the Four Roses, although all are first rate whiskies. The Four Roses sells in the $30 range, the OGD sells in the $18 range, and the WT Rare Breed sells in the $45 range.

On several occasions in the past I have written that Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond bourbon should be the bourbon against which all other bourbons should be measured. In my opinion it is bourbon central. You can go from OGDBIB to every other bourbon. Some will be softer, some will be more vigorous, some will have more barrel flavors, but OGD is always there so you can reset. The essential ingredients of traditional American bourbon are there for all to taste........ good water, good corn, good rye, good barrels, sufficient time in the barrel for all to work together.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: One for the money! Two for the show! Go FR go!

Unread postby RandyG » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:25 pm

I always enjoy your posts Mike. Your insights help me decipher what it is I am tasting. This post reinforces what I suspected was my preference for bourbons with a strong oak influence (my fondness for older whiskeys being another). Even though I like both the Four Roses and Wild Turkey, I much prefer the Rare Breed. Both are higher in proof (another fondness of mine) and rye content, so maybe it's the oak influence that I find so appealing. Your post may also provide some insight as to why I struggle to come to terms with OGD 114. I have never thought it a bad whiskey but now find myself contemplating whether it's the corn that has me at odds this high proofer.

On a side note, I seem to be fortunate in that Rare Breed here sells for $35 and the FRSB $40. Regardless, both will always have a permanent spot on my shelf.

Cheers,
RG
RandyG

Unread postby Squire » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:42 pm

Very well said Mike, I agree completely. Old Grand Dad is the yard stick Bourbon against which I measure the rest.
Squire

Unread postby Birdo » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:43 am

Haven't had OGDBIB in a long while, and I might like it better than I did when I was new, I may have got a bad bottle.

Too bad the Rare Breed comes at such a price premium in GA, I get it for $35 here, and Four Roses single barrel goes for $28. IMO, both are as good as it gets.

I use to think Knob Creek was the best in the price range, but it now leaves me with an after taste.
Birdo

Unread postby Squire » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:29 pm

Our tastes evolve as we learn more, formerly overlooked nuances surface, 10 years ago I liked Knob Creek more than Four Roses, now the roles are reversed.
Squire

Unread postby gillmang » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:22 pm

Arguably, Knob Creek was better then. Some people think the first bottlings were prime Gran-dad stock inherited from National Distillers.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Squire » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:37 pm

Yes, I was actually speaking of the Knob Creek of ten years ago rather than when it was introduced in 1992. The earlier expressions were better than today and if ND Old Grand Dad stock was used that explains it.
Squire

Unread postby Wasatch » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:59 pm

For me I did not care a whole lot for the GD, I would not buy it again. I love Rare Breed, and have only had the FR small batch and new yellow label. I really enjoy Old Foresters Signature for the price.
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby Landrum » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:02 pm

I can't add much of anything that hasn't already been expressed other than to say that I really enjoy FRSB and it's now one of my favorites.
Landrum

Unread postby Birdo » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:01 am

gillmang wrote:Arguably, Knob Creek was better then. Some people think the first bottlings were prime Gran-dad stock inherited from National Distillers.

Gary

I apologize for hy-jacking this thread with stuff on knob creek. Anyway, my concern when they introduced Knob Creek Single Barrel, was that the Knob Creek regular may not get the very best barrels, and that it would hurt quality. I don't know if that's happened, but it crossed my mind. I guess if you want their best Knob Creek, you have to buy single barrel at a $10 premium over regular. It does get you 20 proof more, but it is still pricey.
Birdo

Unread postby devilscut » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:14 am

Today is repeal of prohibition day. 80 years ago today. Let's toast to that!
devilscut

Unread postby Squire » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:52 pm

I raise my glass.
Squire

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:48 am

Birdo wrote:
gillmang wrote:Arguably, Knob Creek was better then. Some people think the first bottlings were prime Gran-dad stock inherited from National Distillers.

Gary

I apologize for hy-jacking this thread with stuff on knob creek. Anyway, my concern when they introduced Knob Creek Single Barrel, was that the Knob Creek regular may not get the very best barrels, and that it would hurt quality. I don't know if that's happened, but it crossed my mind. I guess if you want their best Knob Creek, you have to buy single barrel at a $10 premium over regular. It does get you 20 proof more, but it is still pricey.

it's worth the $8 premium. how many other practically barrel proof aged stated bourbons can you find on the shelf for $35-40? Every now and then, I see a sale for as low as $32. Hard to beat it!
393foureyedfox

Unread postby JLH3 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:30 am

It's funny, but I have always felt the 4RSmB had more depth and just a plain better taste than the 4RSB. I realize this puts me in a decided minority, but at least it's a cheaper one :D
Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.
- Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses

"Your hair was darker then."
- Grant
"My heart was lighter then."
- Rico
The Professionals
JLH3

Unread postby Squire » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:57 am

The 4R Small Batch is my choice which I prefer over the Single Barrel by a margin.
Squire

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight