Wyoming Whiskey

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Wyoming Whiskey

Unread postby Wasatch » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:02 am

Has anyone tried it? I read a review that was pretty good. I might just have a bottle coming my way soon, hopefully. It is a bourbon.
Cheers!
Wasatch

Re: Wyoming Whiskey

Unread postby Ettore » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:58 pm

Yeppers. I had some in...Wyoming!

I thought is was reasonably good but I don't think it is worth the $50 they ask for it. It seemed...young.
Ettore

Unread postby Wasatch » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:34 am

Ettore wrote:Yeppers. I had some in...Wyoming!

I thought is was reasonably good but I don't think it is worth the $50 they ask for it. It seemed...young.

Cool thanks. The manager of the store told me it was about $50 a bottle also. I still might try it.
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby Ettore » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:42 am

What is the worst that can happen? :)
Ettore

Unread postby Squire » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:44 pm

The worst for me would be to find it's not as good as Barton and costs five times as much.
Squire

Unread postby Zackary77 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:18 am

Nice post there are many person searching about that now they will find enough resources by your post. Thanks for sharing.
Zackary77
Zackary77

Unread postby Wasatch » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:36 pm

Ettore wrote:What is the worst that can happen? :)

That I spend $50 on a bottle, and it sucks, knowing I could have bought a bottle of WT Rare Breed and had saved $15 in my pocket.
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby Ettore » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:00 pm

Wasatch wrote:
Ettore wrote:What is the worst that can happen? :)

That I spend $50 on a bottle, and it sucks, knowing I could have bought a bottle of WT Rare Breed and had saved $15 in my pocket.

Well, in my opinion you'll probably feel that way. (But I want to be clear...it does NOT "suck.")

It isn't BAD, it just tastes young and isn't a $50 bottle to me.
(Now I certainly understand WHY is is $50...a brand new, boutique distiller that sources all local ingredients, is doing everything correct, has to endure extra transportation costs due to the oddities of the state's liquor tax realities, etc.)

I'll certainly try it again in the future and I always want to encourage the trend towards craft distilleries but for now the known entities (like the Rare Breed that you cite) are the slam dunk choices.

Devils advocate stance: maybe the smartest thing actually is to buy it and bunker it because it will probably go for much more when it sells out, gets that "mystique", etc.
Ettore

Unread postby Squire » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:23 am

Ok, a younger version of Makers Mark (Steve Nally was Master Distiller there before Beam took over) with an emphasis on local identity. Don't see how grain transportation costs would be higher though, they're closer to the sources than Kentucky and the trains do run through Wyoming. 88 is an odd proof but that would stretch the stock more than 90 or 100. They do appear to be making their own stock and the barrel entry proof of 110 is respectable. They appear to be using single story aging warehouses but they are aging in a cold climate so I should think it would be more like 8-10 years to reach what we would call fully mature.

Still, not yet up the standards of Makers, Larceny, Weller 107 or 12 and costs twice as much. For the price they're asking I'm more interested in the 10 year old ryes coming out of Canada.
Squire

Unread postby fishnbowljoe » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:01 pm

I happen to be a little bit familiar with Wyoming Whiskey, and Kirby Wyoming. I've met and talked with Steve Nally numerous times over the last few years at the KBF in Bardstown. A few of those conversations were about Wyoming Whiskey. FWIW, Steve has to be one of the most easy going, down to earth guys I've ever met. My brother actually used to live in Greybull Wyoming. It's about an hour away from Kirby. I've been out in that part of Wyoming a few times. It just so happens that I was out there last year on vacation, and had the pleasure of visiting the Wyoming Whiskey distillery.

I'm not sure, but I think that Steve and Wyoming Whiskey have bottled 12 or 13 batches now. I only have a little info on the first four batches though. Batch #1 may have been reserved for a few special groups that had specific interests in Wyoming Whiskey right from their startup. I never heard any reviews of batch #1. I had a bottle of Batch #3, and it, along with Batch #2 received decent reviews. I thought Batch #3 was okay. Not great, not bad, just okay. I did hear that of the first four batches, Batch #4 was the worst of the bunch. A few friends of mine had a bottle of Batch #4, and to put it bluntly, they said it was practically undrinkable.

Wyoming Whiskey is not a boutique distillery. It's a bourbon distillery. They make only one thing. Bourbon. They've had to overcome a few obstacles in their endeavor. Weather is one. The weather in Wyoming is very different from the weather in Kentucky to say the least. Long, harsh, cold winters. Temperatures can dip well below zero, and the wind whipping across the Big Horn basin can cut right through a person. In the summer, temperatures can get into the mid to upper 90's during the day, but then can drop into the 50's, and even sometimes the mid-upper 40's at night. Not much humidity there either. It will be interesting to see how the weather affects how their barrels age. Another problem is elevation. Kirby Wyoming is about 8/10's of a mile above sea level. Steve said they had to experiment around a bit to see what effect the altitude had on mashing and fermenting. Water was a bit of a problem also. They had to truck their water in while waiting for a pipeline to be finished. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the pipeline might be finished now. Don't forget the barrels. Another thing I can't quite remember, is where Steve said they get their barrels from. I want to say ISC, in Lebanon Missouri, but don't quote me on that. I could be wrong. As far as I know, they get all their grains locally, so that's probably the least of their worries. Oh, I almost forgot. Location. Kirby Wyoming is out in the middle of nowhere. Lot's of wide open spaces. Not exactly what most would consider an ideal location, but the Mead family had the land.

Yes, their whiskey tastes young right now, but you have to start somewhere. A totally brand new venture like this takes time, along with some trial and error, and a little patience. Steve and his crew are trying to do things right. They're doing their best to make a quality product. I have faith they will eventually succeed. Their whiskey may be just okay right now, but I believe it will only keep getting better.

Cheers! Joe
Attachments
WW8.jpeg
WW8.jpeg (153.46 KiB) Viewed 7005 times
WW7.jpeg
WW7.jpeg (110.01 KiB) Viewed 7005 times
WW6.jpeg
WW6.jpeg (137.06 KiB) Viewed 7005 times
WW5.jpeg
WW5.jpeg (134.96 KiB) Viewed 7005 times
WW4.jpeg
WW4.jpeg (154.56 KiB) Viewed 7005 times
WW3.jpeg
WW3.jpeg (108.53 KiB) Viewed 7005 times
WW2.jpeg
WW2.jpeg (186.73 KiB) Viewed 7005 times
WW1.jpeg
WW1.jpeg (126.32 KiB) Viewed 7005 times
SN.jpeg
SN.jpeg (88.6 KiB) Viewed 7005 times
"The only bad bourbon, is the one you didn't have."

Please drink responsibly
fishnbowljoe

Unread postby Squire » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:03 am

Thanks for that Joe. Yeah, I've visited the Cody/Kirby/GrayBull area and it's about as far as you can get climatically from the cascading streams and lush green fields of Kentucky. I also wonder how whisky will age in that cold, arid climate.
Squire

Return to Bourbon, Straight